1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short..

- Gas was almost completely drained for moving company to transport bike
- When i got it off the truck it started up first go
- it was on a steep incline i put in gear and tried to drive it up into the garage it stalled out. so I assumed it was out of gas.
- wouldn't start up
- few days later i got gas
filled it up and tried to start, cranks but won't start, few pops like it's trying though
- charged my battery up over night
- turned key on and off a bunch of times to get the fuel pump to pump some fuel
- still won't start

any suggestions, sorry if I'm missing info

i haven't tried bump starting it yet cuz i live at the top of hill and afraid i might have to push it back up if it doesn't start

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh i also, got the bike painted recently so I'm afraid perhaps dust and stuff might have been in the bottom of tank and gotten into the fuel system when i ran out of gas.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
oh i also, got the bike painted recently so I'm afraid perhaps dust and stuff might have been in the bottom of tank and gotten into the fuel system when i ran out of gas.
If that's the case, those guys did a real shi*ty job taping bits up.

Does your exhaust smell like fuel when you crank it?
Do you have any fault codes?
How old are the plugs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how do i check the fpr?
... i stuck my nose in the pipe couldn't smell anything.
no faults
plugs are 10000km old prob..

bump start doesn't work..

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
To check the FPR, pull the vac line. There should be no fuel in it.

If bumping isnt working, i'd try cranking the engine with your airbox off to see if the injectors are spraying.

edit: Spray carb cleaner into the throttle bodies and see if the bike fires. If so, then its an injector problem!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright well i'm gunna take a break on it til after christmas break.. but i'll check these thing and let you guys know how it goes.

What would cause the plugs to become fouled?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
alright well i'm gunna take a break on it til after christmas break.. but i'll check these thing and let you guys know how it goes.

if its the fuel pressure regulator, that could foul the plugs...

·
Registered
567 Posts

Old plugs + bike stalling out = fouled plugs.

It may not be that, but that would be the first place i'd look if the FPR is ok. Just put some new ones in it anyway, it needs them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so.. came back after holidays tried to start it up again.. couple puffs and burps but no start. but i can definately smell gas when trying to start it. <--(does that rule out the fpr?)

Went to get some plugs but the parts guy quoted me at over $200 so I didn't get them. Is that normal price for plugs?

what to do?

·
Registered
567 Posts
ok so.. came back after holidays tried to start it up again.. couple puffs and burps but no start. but i can definately smell gas when trying to start it. <--(does that rule out the fpr?)

Went to get some plugs but the parts guy quoted me at over $200 so I didn't get them. Is that normal price for plugs?

what to do?
Nope, a fuel pressure gauge would rule out the FPR since you've already done the leak check.

I pay around 6 bucks per plug at autozone, dont know if you have any of those in Canada though. Im not gonna even look and I promise you theyre cheaper ANYWHERE else lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks like i can get the ngk's for $40ish with shipping online.. i think I'll do that if i can't find a cheaper local shop.

I'll change the plug and let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
567 Posts
looks like i can get the ngk's for $40ish with shipping online.. i think I'll do that if i can't find a cheaper local shop.

I'll change the plug and let you guys know how it goes.
Even 40 seems high. The ones I get from autozone are NGK.

Just looked up the OEM plugs and yeah even they are very pricey at 20 bucks a pop. That guy had to be quoting them installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is canada.. everything is more expensive.. he quote me $40 something a plug not installed.. with tax it was over 200 so i left.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts