Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for you that have seen my prior posts, you know that I've been looking for a little more power.  In those posts, I mentioned shaving the flywheel and litening the crank.  With the input received, I decided it was not what I had been looking for.  
Not being feasable to buy a new bike and wanting to keep up with the power delivery of the new bikes I've decided to bore out the 929 motor to a 980cc (76mm pistons).  And also bump the compression up to 13:1.  According to Dan Kyle, he said it would not be worth it, but I am a person that loves to tinker (although I definately do value his knowledge).  My understanding is that he has only tried bumping compression on a 929, but not tried to bore as well as bump compression.  So the pistons are on order and the case has been sent out.  All in all, around $1000 ($550 JE Pistons, $450 for machining and Nikasil coating, and $50 for a new head gasket and boring of that to a 76mm.  Labor will be free as I am doing this on my own.
I've already port and polished the head w/ a 3 angle valve job and dropped in Erion Racing cams with the Micron Serpent system.
I have no real reason to bring this up, except for sheer excitement.  When I get it all back together, I plan to have it custom mapped, and I will get the dyno results.  Not sure if it will happen before winter as it is starting to get cold up here in Wisconsin.  If anyone is interested I can take pics of the process.  I hope to have it back and together in about two weeks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sounds interesting. I'm waiting to here about it, especially the end result. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
What exactly are you going to do with the Head Gasket??? ouch!

And not flaming but, why a 3 angle cut if you're doing it yourself? Especially if you like tinkering. I'd smooth out the throat a bit more with an extra angle minimum.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Interesting!  Keep us posted!

Dan and I boosted compression a bit on mine with no real result.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Is there a head gasket that will work or would the head need to be o-ringed?

Sounds like something I'd try. Good luck and keep us updated on the progress!!!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the confusion. The head work has already been done (not by me) by Four and Six Racing (Chicago, IL).

As far as the head gasket, Conetics (sp?) was supposed to make one for a 2mm overbore available through APE, but there was not enough demand so they didn't make it. So what I have to do is buy a stock one for a 929 and 'bore' it out to a 980. A little nervous about this, but the company that is doing the boring and plating has done this before with good results. I know I can have a custom head gasket made, but they need a template (stock gasket), and they can make a copper head gasket (heard bad things about leakage with copper) or they can make one from composite (single layer I think, still not as good as the two or three layer our stock gaskets have. I also can save myself a little more cash I don't have by just 'boring' out the stock gasket.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Keep us informed on the progress! Sounds like your having fun, so that's all that matters.

Rick

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
980 seems a little scary.  As I thought the rationale for the 954cc was the maximum honda was willing to bore a 929 and maintain required wall thickness or something like that.  Might get a little entertaining...

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
...and get video of the tuning

But seriously, good luck

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Crash : 980 seems a little scary.  As I thought the rationale for the 954cc was the maximum honda was willing to bore a 929 and maintain required wall thickness or something like that.  
...and willing to attach a 4 year warranty to.  You always got to think that way when a factory makes a decision.  Sounds like a cool project, keep us informed!

Mike

Edit: Whos doing your boring and plating? I've had good luck with Poeton Max Power and Milinium (SP?)

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
US Chrome. They are local to the Wisconsin area. Located about 100 miles north of me in Fond du Lac. They actually send it somewhere to be bored out and when they get it back they put the Nikasil plating on it.

Thanks for all of the good luck wishings. Hopefully I won't need it. I'll definately snap some photos of the work in progress.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What kind of results did you get from the polished head work? I just finished polishing my exhuast ports, and the valve job will be done shortly.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It all sounds rather exciting, please do let us know the results and how rideable it is for everyday riding.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Will the cylinders need extra fuel? Do you need bigger injectors/fuel pump? Don't burn a valve, that would suck

Sounds like a cool project, I'm interested in the pics as well

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
nedro : Quote (luvtolean @ Sep. 30 2003, 3:40pm)Interesting!  Keep us posted!

Dan and I boosted compression a bit on mine with no real result.
By decking the head?
Yep.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The head work made an incredible difference.  With a full system it seemed to smooth out the curve quite a bit and got rid of that nasty 3500rpm dive that is so common when you get rid of the HTEV.

The last time dynoed, this was with the Micron, head work and a bum PC3 (was trying to get it custom mapped, but found out it was not working), I was pushing 135 to the rear wheel.

EDIT:
Missed the last question...
The PC3 should be able to compensate for the extra fuel needed. I've been pondering the thought of using the 954 fuel injectors for better atomization.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update...
Tomorrow is the big day I receive the pistons and case to start the assembly. In the time that I have been waiting, I snapped a few pics of the guts of the motor (if interested in viewing, let me know). Not nearly as complicated as I thought it would be. I also decided to buy throttle bodies off of a 954 (only $130 with injectors and fuel rail). As I go on with the project I will try to remember to take pics for you that are interested.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts