Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am finishing getting my bike ready for the season and was looking everything over and noticed a lot of play with my chain.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v634/brudy17/?action=view&current=3e994f8f.jpg

I have taken a picture of the adjustment scale/guide but am sort of unsure of how to use it and am wondering if that sticker is even in the right place. It says that I am supposed to have a bout 1/4 inch of slack in the chain and it has about an inch of slack.

Is it time for a new chain or will a simple adjustment do?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
1/4"???
rotate the sprokets to the tightest place on the cog, then try to push the chain up twards the swingarm. If it hits, it's too loose. If it is within a half inch or closer to the swingarm without touching, you're fine.
I thought it was about 1 1/2". Go figure.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Hey all. I am finishing getting my bike ready for the season and was looking everything over and noticed a lot of play with my chain.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v634/brudy17/?action=view&current=3e994f8f.jpg

I have taken a picture of the adjustment scale/guide but am sort of unsure of how to use it and am wondering if that sticker is even in the right place. It says that I am supposed to have a bout 1/4 inch of slack in the chain and it has about an inch of slack.

Is it time for a new chain or will a simple adjustment do?
Ignore the sticker.
The chain should have _a lot_ more than a quarter-inch of slack.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When adjusting a chain I always check the slack at the tightest point,also before re-tightening the rear axle I temporarily take the slack out with a piece of rag fed in between the sprocket and chain,this will pull the axle tight against the adjuster bolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.