Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OKay so i did a cleaning of my chain, and checked for the slack level.

I have a honda owners manual which says the chain slack should be from 40-50mm, which is 1 9/16" to 1 15/16 inch. I've read on many forums and experts saying that a good chain slack is around 1 - 1 1/4 inch?

Anyways, my chain slack is anywhere from a bit over 3/4 inch, to 1 1/4 inch. Is that okay? I checked if the chain is too worn out by pulling the chain on the back of the rear sprocket, and it looks good there, as in, too much sprocket teeth don't show.

The sprocket teeth also look good for now. They don't have the classic worn sprocket tooth look

Plus, I'd rather go with the slack that the actual owner's manual says, than the generic 1 - 1 1/4 inch rule.......and yes i know I'm not at the slack the owner's manual says haha. Basically what i'm saying is, I HOPE MY CHAIN ISN'T SHOT!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
quick question, since there was no previous owner to tell me if the chain had already been replaced or not, anyone know what color is the original chain that came with '01 929RR's? My 929 has just under 16k miles on it, so I'm hoping it isn't the original chain :crap: The chain that is on right now is a D.I.D gold chain, so i'm wondering if that is original or not

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
OKay so i did a cleaning of my chain, and checked for the slack level.

I have a honda owners manual which says the chain slack should be from 40-50mm, which is 1 9/16" to 1 15/16 inch. I've read on many forums and experts saying that a good chain slack is around 1 - 1 1/4 inch?

Anyways, my chain slack is anywhere from a bit over 3/4 inch, to 1 1/4 inch. Is that okay? I checked if the chain is too worn out by pulling the chain on the back of the rear sprocket, and it looks good there, as in, too much sprocket teeth don't show.

The sprocket teeth also look good for now. They don't have the classic worn sprocket tooth look

Plus, I'd rather go with the slack that the actual owner's manual says, than the generic 1 - 1 1/4 inch rule.......and yes i know I'm not at the slack the owner's manual says haha. Basically what i'm saying is, I HOPE MY CHAIN ISN'T SHOT!!!

Set the chain slack as specified at the tightest part of the chain. No part should be tighter than specified.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
quick question, since there was no previous owner to tell me if the chain had already been replaced or not, anyone know what color is the original chain that came with '01 929RR's? My 929 has just under 16k miles on it, so I'm hoping it isn't the original chain :crap: The chain that is on right now is a D.I.D gold chain, so i'm wondering if that is original or not

The type of chain should be stamped on the links.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts