Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a 2001 Honda 929rr for cheap, it had some issues like red light and fi light on the dash, leaking forks, broken clutch safety switch connector, bad neutral safety switch,, servo motor bypassed improperly but the bike ran, rode great and sounded great, I instantly fell in love with it. Well i ordered most of the stuff I would need to fix the majority of these issues on my own, I'm new to working on motorcycles but I've rebuilt my fair share of engine bottom ends and a few transmissions in my driveway so I figured it couldn't be too hard

Well, upon replacing the neutral safety switch, adding a servo buddy (last owner had bypassed it but not added the buddy for the lights on the dash), and bypassing the clutch safety switch the bike started and still ran great as before, however the dash lights came back on after about a minute of idling. I also realized in doing this that the clutch safety switch only received ground signal when the bike was in neutral meaning the bike would HAVE to be in neutral to start regardless of clutch lever position. So, I looked up a wiring diagram and traced back the grounds from the safety switches that sits underneath the seat and gas tank and just Infront of the rear suspension with 5 green wires going to it. I removed the ground, cleaned it, and placed it back on with all five wires back on. While screwing it in I realized the red light and fi light on the dash flashed in relation to having a connection or not, assuming I fixed the problem I attempted to start the bike and it turned over but wouldn't spark. The bike had run great just a few minutes before this.

I spent several days troubleshooting several similar problems people have had to no avail, pinched fuel pump line, even the 9v signal through the pink wire from the ignition to the ecu and still nothing. I smell fuel when turning it over, none of the plugs are fouled (pulled them to check they were wet but not overly wet), can smell fuel when it's turning over, fuel pump primes, ether does nothing, so its not a fuel, air, or compression issue its a spark. I even put a volt meter up to the plugs and they gave .3-.4v reading when it cranked. I haven't been able to find anyone else with my same issue anywhere. The dealer is a last resort especially considering it could be such an easy fix and especially infuriating because it ran not a few moments before. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Also, the kickstand switch is bypassed so I'm unable to read the codes as both wires are receiving a constant ground even before the connector, so there's likely a short somewhere but I haven't ripped apart the wiring harness to find it if there is one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be worth re-connecting all the bypassed switches and then check for continuity from the fuse box and diode( Lightgreen/Red, Lightgreen and GreenRed)
Thanks for the message, so I just tried connecting the kickstand switch and the clutch switch how they should be and every fuse was getting the proper voltage including the ignition, the fuse to the side of the fuse box that controls the main power and the starter solenoid. I’m just very confused because I was under the impression that those safety switches active the emergency stop relay and stop it from turning over but it still does, so what would cause a no spark situation?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have you pulled a spark plug or even a coil with spare plug and earth it to check for spark ( could be injectors not firing) and try swapping Headlight relay for Engine Stop Relay and try that, have you got the Shop Manual
Also check this ,especially reply # 10 by unfettered

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yessir that was one of my first diagnosing steps, grounding the threads and tried to start it had no spark, or at least not strong enough for me to see. I did not try the headlight relay but i did attempt to jump the engine stop relay entirely to no avail.
Appreciate the replies, and the link. I have damn near an identical problem to him except mine wasn't sitting. I'm faily certain all 4 coils wouldn't go bad at the same exact time so I ordered a new ECU, and it is in the mail right now I will update the thread if that's the issue!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just plugged the new ecu in and the bike fired right up! My guess is a resistor or something similar popped just from use, it does have 70k miles. Also no more red light so the bike was actually telling me what was wrong the whole time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts