Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just got a 2000 CBR 929rr for christmas from my loving wife. It was running fine when she first gave it to me a couple of weeks before christmas. Now the last time I tried to crank it it was backfiring alot so I cut it off and let it sit and then tried to recrank it and it would not crank... It has a full M4 exhaust, sprockets and other than that stock except cosmetic stuff.... I was wondering if a PCIII would fix the problem but that doesn't deal much with the starting factor does it? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
The PCIII cannot fix an issue; it worked fine before and now it doesn't. A PCIII will make it run better once you get the issue sorted out.

Pull the plugs and check them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that is the thing we changed the plugs before i even put it on the road to make sure everything would be ok...but i guess not....The guy my wife got it from said that because the M4 exhaust doesn't have the sensor on it like the stock one then the red light is on the gauge, is that true or does that mean that the code is thrown and it is something else? I mean i will still check the plugs again because they might have fouled if something is wrong i guess.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Backfiring is an ignition timing issue so check you have the leads on the correct plugs.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
There are eliminators that can be bought for under $20. I would never buy something that has a warning light on at the time.

If the O2 sensor is missing, how can the ECU adjust the fueling required?

The O2 sensor was only on the Cali models.

Backfiring is an ignition timing issue so check you have the leads on the correct plugs.
Or too mch fuel; like a cylinder not firing. Usually the bike needs to be hot though.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
well that is the thing we changed the plugs before i even put it on the road to make sure everything would be ok...but i guess not....The guy my wife got it from said that because the M4 exhaust doesn't have the sensor on it like the stock one then the red light is on the gauge, is that true or does that mean that the code is thrown and it is something else? I mean i will still check the plugs again because they might have fouled if something is wrong i guess.
If it's a Cali bike it would have an error due to the missing O2 sensor.
If it's not a Cali bike then it's more likely an error due to the servo motor being missing or disconnected.
Check which code it's throwing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info....i will try the wires.....but wouldn't it have problems starting and running ruff all the time if the wires were switched because like i said it ran fine and then started doing this, but the red light was on because i was going by what the guy told my wife.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also is there somewhere online where i can get the codes for a 2000 929rr so that way i can look and see what it is saying it is?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Perhaps one of the wires has come loose from the coil. The error light could also be indicating an injector error. You really need to pull the codes.
When you say it wouldn't crank you mean the engine wouldn't turn over, right? Most likely due to a flat battery.
It would be worthwhile checking the fuel pressure regulator just for peace of mind. Pull the vacuum line off and see if it has fuel in it. It should be dry. Also check for fuel smell in the crankcase.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The codes are on the site somewhere but essentially:
1 or 2 are the MAP sensor
7 is the coolant temp sensor
8 is the throttle postion sensor
9 is the intake air temp sensor
11 is the speed sensor
12 to 15 are the injectors
18 is the cam pulse generator
19 is the ignition pulse generator
34 or 35 are the servo motor
21 or 23 are the O2 sensor but only on a Cali ECU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well thanks for all the info I plan on going home right after work and seeing if i can work out what the problem is... I can already see that I am going to love coming to this forum and getting to know some of the people on here. Even if your suggestions don't work the info i have gained is great and i do appreciate the help. I will let ya'll know something as soon as i find out.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Count youself lucky - My wife wants nothing to do with my bikes, let alone buy me one...

Good Luck with solving the problem.

(Also, add some pictures of your blade to your gallery :thumb:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Could be a charging issue, if your battery is flat your bike will run like crap, backfiring etc... then not being able to start it... try charging the battery first

1 - 14 of 14 Posts