Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so long story short i was riding half the day andeverything was fine.... stoppedat a friends went to get back on turned the ignition on everything was normal turn the red switch to run fuel pump primed hit the starter button and nothing... look down and my dash lights r off headlight off break light off pump wont prime nothing... like its dead so i jump it.... starts right up as soon as i remove the cables it dies... battery is farely new so i dont believe its that i have a spare rectivier and stator so thats no biggie... just want to get it done as fast as i can any help is highly appreciated i have 21 days b4 i ship fo basic and just want to ride those days out thanks guys

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
sounds like a bad stator. If you turn this into the car equivalent, you car can run off the battery until it runs it dry if the alternator is bad. Once the battery is depleted of charge it will die out. Same thing applies to a bike. The bike will run off the battery until depleted since it is not getting charged by the stator. Replace it since you have a new one and let us know if it worked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the same thing... Also can anyone inform me what the regulator does. The only gues I have is it regulates the voltage as to avoid a spike and doing harm to key components such as an ecu

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
The R/R has 2 different jobs as the name suggests. The regulator side of it prevents more than 14.5 volts getting sent to your battery would would cause it to melt down basically. The rectifier actually tries to keep the voltage above a minimum amount. If your batter is not getting enough charge to run your bike, it would most likely be the rectifier or could still be the stator. If your battery is overcharging and melts down, the regulator is bad, along with your newly toasted battery.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's not the stator... Replaced it... Jump started pulled the cables and it stayed running for about a min then died... Now it's doing the same thing as before

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so when I have cables on it it holds at 12.7 volts as soon as I take them off it drops to 5 volts and slowly goes down... When I turn the key off it will spike up to 10 volts and holds... Voltage regulator?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
ok so long story short i was riding half the day andeverything was fine.... stoppedat a friends went to get back on turned the ignition on everything was normal turn the red switch to run fuel pump primed hit the starter button and nothing... look down and my dash lights r off headlight off break light off pump wont prime nothing... like its dead so i jump it.... starts right up as soon as i remove the cables it dies... battery is farely new so i dont believe its that i have a spare rectivier and stator so thats no biggie... just want to get it done as fast as i can any help is highly appreciated i have 21 days b4 i ship fo basic and just want to ride those days out thanks guys

Charge the battery.
Do the tests of the charging system as either the stator or regulator have probably failed.
And leave the killswitch on, it's not designed for everyday use.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The R/R has 2 different jobs as the name suggests. The regulator side of it prevents more than 14.5 volts getting sent to your battery would would cause it to melt down basically. The rectifier actually tries to keep the voltage above a minimum amount. If your batter is not getting enough charge to run your bike, it would most likely be the rectifier or could still be the stator. If your battery is overcharging and melts down, the regulator is bad, along with your newly toasted battery.

The rectifier switches the alternating current from the alternator to direct current that the bike can use.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Well it's not the stator... Replaced it... Jump started pulled the cables and it stayed running for about a min then died... Now it's doing the same thing as before

Did you charge the battery first?
You need enough power to run the fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Ok so when I have cables on it it holds at 12.7 volts as soon as I take them off it drops to 5 volts and slowly goes down... When I turn the key off it will spike up to 10 volts and holds... Voltage regulator?

Is this when the battery is fully charged?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok quick update... The battery was toast it wouldn't hold a charge... Bought a new battery and I'm back to riding tganks for the help guys

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
YAY!! I love happy endings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts