Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 929rr 2001 model that smokes on start up for about a minute until it reaches temperature. The smoke is white and smells quite rich I.E fule is it normal. Also is smells rich most of the time

·
Registered
45 Posts
How many miles? how do the plugs look? smoke at startup could be valve seals, the oil, when you shut the bike off, seeps down around the seals into the cylinder and then burns off when you start it. The amount that seeps is usually small that's why it burns off and stops after you run it a minute or two. Does it smoke only after its been sitting turned off for a while or If you warm it up and shut it off then start it right away does it smoke? Also, is it something that's smoking while "choked" and then goes away? Could be in the high idle circuit.

Paul

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Excessive fuel (ie. running rich) causes grey or black smoke, not white. All bikes (and cars) run rich when the engine is cold, and on anything without a cat the exhaust will smell of fuel. If it continues to smell of fuel even when fully warm, then your coolant temperature sensor might not be working correctly.

White smoke is either coolant getting into the combustion chambers (in which case the smoke smells 'sweet' if you have anti-freeze in the coolant) or oil smoke, in which case the smoke will have a blue tint to it.

Does the bike use any coolant?

As Pauvil says, oil smoke that only appears for a short while after a cold start is usually caused by worn valve stem seals and/or valve guides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles? how do the plugs look? smoke at startup could be valve seals, the oil, when you shut the bike off, seeps down around the seals into the cylinder and then burns off when you start it. The amount that seeps is usually small that's why it burns off and stops after you run it a minute or two. Does it smoke only after its been sitting turned off for a while or If you warm it up and shut it off then start it right away does it smoke? Also, is it something that's smoking while "choked" and then goes away? Could be in the high idle ..circuit.

Paul
Hi mate thanks for the reply .my bike has done 36 thousand miles .it's only when the bike has been sitting in the garage all night .coolant level is fine it's not using water and the bike was serviced last year .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bike has covered 36000 miles and was serviced last year it only smokes on a morning start when I take it out the garage till the temperature gets to 36c then goes away.iv been told it could be condesation because iv put the original aluminium exhaust back on .

·
Banned
433 Posts
smoke at startup could be valve seals

Paul
Excessive fuel (ie. running rich) causes grey or black smoke, not white.

As Pauvil says, oil smoke that only appears for a short while after a cold start is usually caused by worn valve stem seals and/or valve guides.
Seems it's a consistent conclusion and I believe that's your issue, worn valve seals, hard as rocks, cracked, allowing oil to enter the cylinder overnight.

When you fire it up in the morning, you're burning it off. It takes a night time of hours for it to seep enough oil in there. You want to pull the head and do the work, or just live with it and replace the plugs every few months?
You should see some older Gold Wings smoke like a freight train each morning, most guys never use a side stand to reduce the effect on that model bike. 36,000 miles, depending on how you rode it, maintained it, and the unknown owners before you treated it, could be getting tired, well seasoned, past it's prime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems it's a consistent conclusion and I believe that's your issue, worn valve seals, hard as rocks, cracked, allowing oil to enter the cylinder overnight.

When you fire it up in the morning, you're burning it off. It takes a night time of hours for it to seep enough oil in there. You want to pull the head and do the work, or just live with it and replace the plugs every few months?
You should see some older Gold Wings smoke like a freight train each morning, most guys never use a side stand to reduce the effect on that model bike. 36,000 miles, depending on how you rode it, maintained it, and the unknown owners before you treated it, could be getting tired, well seasoned, past it's prime.
Hi mate is it ok to leave it as it is or will may bike get worse iv been quoted £700 to solve this issue? Best regards

·
Registered
54 Posts
Most bikes when starting up smoke as the engines run rich to get the motor up to temperature, in the smoke is moisture and the smell of fuel... I wouldn't worry about it,, if the bike is running fine in every other aspect and does not uses any oil, then that's all it is.
Keep an eye on your oil level, and if you are using your bike a lot then you should already be doing so on your daily checks.

Oh and as some one else said, take you plugs out and check them,, if your burning oil you will have deposits and black wet plugs,, if there tanned brown, light grey then your good.

·
Banned
474 Posts
As 1926 stated, and bikerian mentions, oil level is key for a throwaway. Keep an eye on the level and make it a daily check.
Next part is you have a buddy ride behind, find a hill, roll downhill with the throttle closed. Wave to him to come closer and then nail the throttle open. He gets this big bellow of smoke out the back of your pipes and you get the coating on the morning start.

Every intake stroke, is to remember the valve runs back up that loose, wet guide, comes back down, is washed off with the gas, plus air being sucked out of that guide too; is mixed with every fire. But you don't see it as condensed and robust as a lift/WOT test. If it kept on smoking no matter cold or hot, it's rings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts