Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
a VERY subjective question. I use Rotella T syntheic Diesel oil. It's the blue bottle 5W-40 which can be bought at pep boys, walmart, target(maybe), autozone, etc.... for around $20 for 5 quarts. It's worked for me since I switched over in 2004 from Golden Spectro. Honestly, if you change your oil every 3,000 or at the beginning of each season(whichever is first) most oils will be fine. I use diesel oil because it has a high amount of additives and I've seen what engine internals looks like after 30K of hard riding, they are pristine. Though there are many many opinions on this subject and you most likely will get a lot of conflicting answers. The hardest part is understanding that a "synthetic Oil" is not necessarily fully synthetic. To know if it is fully synthetic look at the class of the oil to see where it falls. The Rotella T Synthetic is not a full synthetic(hence the price) and is actually a blend. Find what works best for you and go with it. Oh and the Rotella T smells horrible. It gives off a distinctive smell after the bike is fully warmed up and you are venting out through the air/oil separator. It is the only oil I have ever used that has smelled. I just ignore it and you only smell it sitting at lights so it's not a big deal to me.

Best of luck and I hope that helped.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In looking at the prices for everything I ended up just buying my 4 quarts through a honda dealer. They were about the same price as all the others and I used what the dealer uses in the shop. Thanks for the help though guys. I appreciate the feedback!

Is synthetic really that much better than normal oil?
pros? cons?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.