Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a '93 CBR900RR, and the bike will start every time I want it to, but won't start if I turn it off, then on within a minute or two.

I found out when I was riding it and tried to shoot a fireball by clicking it from run to off to run again. It wouldn't turn back on, even while remaining in gear, ignition on, etc. I sat on the side of the road for about fifteen minutes (flooded it) and then tried again to start it, and it fired right up.

I know it was dropped just before that (not by me, so I don't know how bad) so that is VERY likely what caused the problem.

Now it runs very well, no loss of power or stumbling at any RPM, but for some reason, it needs to be off for at least two or three minutes before it'll run again.

It still cranks and has power and all is good.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This has happened to my 93 blade too. In my case the issue turned out to be an accumulation of water in the right hand switch gear and took all of 30 seconds to sort out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
because the carbs have a starting circuit that could be clogged with dirt or old fuel
The starting circuit is only necessary on a cold engine, which is when it starts every time (assuming I didn't start it recently.)

Awkwardboy said:
This has happened to my 93 blade too. In my case the issue turned out to be an accumulation of water in the right hand switch gear and took all of 30 seconds to sort out.
I don't follow; how did you work that out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Had initially thought that the problem was a faulty kill switch, the bike is 18 years old, so I dismantled the switch gear to have a wee look inside. Once I had removed the two retaining screws and separated the casing the water poured out, gave the switch a clean checked for any corrosion gave it a generous spray of WD40 and its worked fine since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Had initially thought that the problem was a faulty kill switch, the bike is 18 years old, so I dismantled the switch gear to have a wee look inside. Once I had removed the two retaining screws and separated the casing the water poured out, gave the switch a clean checked for any corrosion gave it a generous spray of WD40 and its worked fine since.
Thanks so much man, I opened the kill switch to take a look, and it looked fine and all, so I tried starting/stopping/starting and it works now.

Idk what the hell I did, but I cleaned it up with a q-tip and put it back to normal, and now it works. Must have been a build up of dirt or something, I really don't know but just taking it apart seemed to have done the trick. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts