Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

93-94 CBR 900rr Value? Opinions Needed

17K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Duncan893 
#1 · (Edited)
I have recently been looking for a first generation 900RR (93-94) and everything I have found has well over 10K on the clock, Slight stress fractures on the fairings (sometimes full cracks), valve noise, no history and a $4k price tag.

By FLUKE I found a PERFECT (eat off it clean) 1994 (White/Black/Red) 900rr with 4800 miles on the clock. The bike is a perfect ten err 11, completly STOCK, owned by a 60 year old gentelman who owns 9 other cycles. I can genuinely say that this bike has NEVER been raced (tracked), no valve noise, Newer than new tires, not a scratch or sign of wear.

He just put it's first set of new tires on (I am aware of the Battle Axe debate), it has every shread of original paperwork, both keys, toolset and he is asking $4000 FIRM. This is a no questions asked, CREAM PUFF

After looking at book & street value $4k seems fair, but because I am only looking in one region of the USA I would like to make sure I'm not making an expensive mistake.

I can accuratly acess if something has been exceptionaly cared for as I am BEYOND detail oriented with everything that I own, but I wanted to get advice of forum experts that truly understand what this bike is worth (Value). I have not been following the used bike market, but I want to make sure I'm not buying something that will be worth $3K next year even if I keep it immaculate.

Again this bike is BONE stock ( I know what your thinking, he took all the plastic / pipe off tracked it and put it back together, this is not the case ) Stock pipe, grips, barends, levers (no play) etc. This bike has truly never been riden in the rain. The rear shock looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

Any and all through put would be greatly appreciated, as I am MORE than interested in this perfect example of a first gen rr.

I only want this bike for short rides out in the sticks (B.F.E. , Boonies, middle of no where)...nothing more. Again, I dont want to pay toooo much for a bike that might take a HUGE hit (value) over the next 2 years, or is 4K the bottom of the market for something this clean and well cared for (most have been updated to 95+ fairings, etc, so I feel this is something speacial ie if I keep it this way, will it always be in the 4k neighborhood, or have used bikes recently become soft (devalued) the reason I ask this is because I hear people talking about buying 929's in the 4K range.

I realize the 929 is a more capable bike, but is there nostalgic value in a bike like this where a pristine example will bring more than market value?

To say I know NOTHING technically about this bike is an understatement so go easy on me....

Again ANY and all throughput is greatly appreciated!

Thank you again

Cheers!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What's wrong with a bike that has been on the track? Most racers take better care of their bikes than any street rider. As for the mileage, I know guys that have well over 10K miles on bikes that are 3 years old, let alone ten.
The price is about a thousand more than I'd be willing to pay, but if you're happy with it go for it.

#3 ·
I completely agree with you (Track vs Street). I have looked at bikes with track time, and have been hard pressed to find flaws, the owner is "usually" more aware of what their particular bike needs maintenance wise, and most importantly has the $money$ to take care of their investment. Is it a better bike because it has not been on the track? No of course not. The question is who owned the track bike....

#5 · (Edited)
I'm sorry but that is a disgrace to woodland camo.....

To be honest I'm surprised the RR didnt self destruct the very moment the red neck sob purchased the Matte green can of Rust'oleum....or did he use the high temp Barbque paint from Krylon....

That is not a pristine example of anything but poor taste.

Attachments

#7 ·
After doing some research on fireblades.org it seems like a PERFECT low mile example can be had for $3K.

Retail value and Asking price is set at $4k

He will not entertain offers, and this bike isn’t Appreciating.

I like to own Toys that are not affected by NADA / Kelly Blue Book, and I get the feeling there is not enough of a following for the 92-94 900rr's that would make an immaculate example worth 4K 1 year from now. (Meaning if I HAD to make this purchase Liquid I would be taking a $500-$1000 bath within 1-2 years)

Thoughts?

#10 · (Edited)
Renn...as others will tell you, if you really like the bike than buy it and be happy with your purchase. Whether you paid a little more is irrelevant when you're grinning ear to ear after a great day riding it. :cycle:

edit: Bikes are a depreciating asset...don't buy one if you're looking at it as an investment.

#15 ·
This thread is a fascinating time-capsule discussion:

In 2005, I'd have bought a 929.

In 2019, I bought an 893.

(Note: Although, full disclosure, if I had a larger garage and the spare cash, I'd have asked Nigel for his Erion Racing 929 by now - just to help him clear some space for his next projects ;). Right, I must find out what is happening with Nigel's TriumphMoto2 & 1000RRRRRRGrrrr ).

#16 ·
This thread is a fascinating time-capsule discussion:

. . . if I had a larger garage and the spare cash, I'd have asked Nigel for his Erion Racing 929 by now - just to help him clear some space for his next projects ;). . . .
Nah, the Erion is a keeper. Had it out just last weekend. Now waiting for a fine day all day, which is rare in UK at the mo, so I can do some super sprocket cleaning, and excellent exhaust header enhancement. Even if it didn't have the 'Erion Racing' logos, the graphics themselves are stunning. I prefer tail tidies on bikes, but I won't butcher this for the sake of looks. (My ex-wife did enough of that to her own attributes:eek:).

Moto 2 was out for a while today, but am going to SORN it from 1st March and get out my 2018 SP2 for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.