Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - this is my first post on here, so please be gentle with me!

I'm in the middle of restoring my '93 RRP which I've owned from new - since the cost of replacing all the various fairing stay brackets, etc. is prohibitive, I'm considering blasting them back to bare metal (I've got both glass and walnut blasting cabinets) and then replating them. I'm only prepared to do this is I can get them looking original though. My question therefore, is a) can anyone tell me what the official name for the process is, and b) if there's anywhere trustworthy in the UK that could do the job for me?

My thanks in advance! :)

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
Pretty sure the fairing stays and brackets were just painted black. They're mild steel, and wouldn't be anodized or powder coated due to cost. Just plain black paint.

But, I've heard of a place in the UK called Wicked Coatings. I have no idea where they're located, but Mike and Ed from WheelerDealers have used them, as well as a guy here named Lambchops. He had all sorts of different coatings done by them on his 900RR/CBR1000 build.

Their stuff looks top rate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your reply - mine are so rusted it's hard to tell what the coating was! I guess that's one of the downsides of living in the UK - especially down here in the south west where we're surrounded by sea. My next question then has to be - what colour black did Honda use? From memory, there are about 160 different shades in the automotive paint catalogues!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Many thanks for your reply - mine are so rusted it's hard to tell what the coating was! I guess that's one of the downsides of living in the UK - especially down here in the south west where we're surrounded by sea. My next question then has to be - what colour black did Honda use? From memory, there are about 160 different shades in the automotive paint catalogues!
Honda black -lol....

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
Honda black -lol....
NH-1 as its called I believe:rotfl: which I think means nothing. A nice semi-gloss black from a rattle can would be good. I used a lacquer on some items last year

Even did my lower clamp and side stand (no pic). Came out like new:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Chaps! I think I might powder coat them after running them through the blast cabinet. By nature, I'm a racer, so I've never done a restoration before - as a result deliberately not replacing everything with titanium is a first for me! This is the sort of thing I've done in the past: More of my Harley race-bike

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Thanks, Chaps! I think I might powder coat them after running them through the blast cabinet. By nature, I'm a racer, so I've never done a restoration before - as a result deliberately not replacing everything with titanium is a first for me! This is the sort of thing I've done in the past: More of my Harley race-bike
thats a really cool build. now that harley i would ride!! the carbs coming up thru the fuel tank is nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts