Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cylinders 1 and 2 will not fire has spark and will backfire through carb. bike will run on 3 and 4. carbs are done and it did run before storage for winter. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
cylinders 1 and 2 will not fire has spark and will backfire through carb. bike will run on 3 and 4. carbs are done and it did run before storage for winter. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do they fire if you spray starter fluid into them?
My guess is the carbs need cleaning due to sitting for several months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no they dont fire with starting fluid. the carbs are new and cleaned just to make sure. only 3 and 4 will fire , so it appears the coils would be good as those cylinders fire on opposite coils if im correct

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
no they dont fire with starting fluid. the carbs are new and cleaned just to make sure. only 3 and 4 will fire , so it appears the coils would be good as those cylinders fire on opposite coils if im correct

You said that you have spark but the two cylinders aren't firing - do they have spark or not?
If they have then the coils are fine.
Why did you buy new carbs for it if it ran fine before winter?
Nothing else has been messed with since the last time it ran fine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes all cylinders have spark however 1 and 2 only backfire thru carbs. a mouse got in air box and made a nest since bike only has side stand all the mouse pee ran to #1 carb and ruined it, tried everything to clean it but its just to corrosive and ruined carb so bought another set. do you know how many kv the spark should be? nothing has been changed since it was stored. i put new plugs in cleaned tank, lines etc.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
yes all cylinders have spark however 1 and 2 only backfire thru carbs. a mouse got in air box and made a nest since bike only has side stand all the mouse pee ran to #1 carb and ruined it, tried everything to clean it but its just to corrosive and ruined carb so bought another set. do you know how many kv the spark should be? nothing has been changed since it was stored. i put new plugs in cleaned tank, lines etc.

Okay, secondhand carbs then.
And you disassembled and cleaned them thoroughly and made sure that carb cleaner and compressed air passes through all the orifices as it should?
Are you using fresh fuel?
But it shouldn't be firing back through the carb if combustion is occuring when the intake valve is closed.
Are the carbs fully inserted into the manifolds and the clamps tight?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with the others...you have spark, so the problem is definitely the fuel. Take the carbs off again and clean them one at a time, and pay special attention to the main jets and the pilot jets.

BTW- I hope you killed that RAT bastard ! :evilaugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No change still won't fire on 1&2 not even w starting fluid. Carbs are clean has spark carbs are tight

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
No change still won't fire on 1&2 not even w starting fluid. Carbs are clean has spark carbs are tight

Have you checked valve clearances or done a compression test?

·
Registered
4 Posts
how could you be getting spark and its still not firing with starter fluid? check your plugs leads etc. is the wires to the coils packs in the correct order

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
how could you be getting spark and its still not firing with starter fluid? check your plugs leads etc. is the wires to the coils packs in the correct order

If it doesn't have compression it won't fire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not yet but it's on the list. I was hoping for something obvious to show up being it ran last fall but that's not the case yet

Thanks for the input I'll keep you posted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts