Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Im new here so im not sure if this has been discussed before but i have a 93 cbr 900rr and it skips in second around 8500+ rpm. So i decided over the winter i would get it all replaced. I know the trani costs about $250 just need to know two things.

1. What other years of fireblade trani's will work on my bike?
2. Approx how much for to get someone to put it in?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey everyone. Im new here so im not sure if this has been discussed before but i have a 93 cbr 900rr and it skips in second around 8500+ rpm. So i decided over the winter i would get it all replaced. I know the trani costs about $250 just need to know two things.

1. What other years of fireblade trani's will work on my bike?
2. Approx how much for to get someone to put it in?

Thanks in advance

Is $250 a secondhand price? I'd recommend just replacing the damaged parts with new ones rather than put another secondhand box in there.
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1993>CBR900RR>TRANSMISSION
I think you can use any '92-'99 900RR transmission and possibly the '02-'07 transmission as a complete unit.
No idea, but it'd be a lot cheaper if you pull the engine out and reinstall it yourself.

·
Registered
596 Posts
if you pay someone to do the work, you will spend more money than the bike is worth. i was quoted 12 hours labor just to remove and inspect the shift forks and gears, let alone buy new parts and put it all back together. so somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000 or more to have a shop do the work. i ended up just replacing 2nd gear, 6th gear, and the damaged shift fork for about $450 total. that price was for the parts, oil, sealant for the case, gaskets, coolant, special tools (socket and clutch basket holder), etc.

and, now i am certain that the parts are brand new and should last a long time.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
if you pay someone to do the work, you will spend more money than the bike is worth. i was quoted 12 hours labor just to remove and inspect the shift forks and gears, let alone buy new parts and put it all back together. so somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000 or more to have a shop do the work. i ended up just replacing 2nd gear, 6th gear, and the damaged shift fork for about $450 total. that price was for the parts, oil, sealant for the case, gaskets, coolant, special tools (socket and clutch basket holder), etc.

and, now i am certain that the parts are brand new and should last a long time.

Was that price including them removing and reinstalling the engine in the bike?

·
Registered
596 Posts
it was 12 hours to remove everything and diagnose the problem, assuming $80-$100 per hour, that's $1000-$1200. so, from there i just figured add parts cost and the time to put it back together and re-install everything and it would easily be over $2000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
lucky me, i also have a 1993 CBR900RR with tranni probs. 2nd flies back to neutral as soon as i pass about 6000rpm. i agree about replacing only damaged parts w/new, but, my prob is,, i cant put that engine together again, without overhauling any other probs. its a stock 93 engine w/77,000 kms, and For Sure its gonna need valve seals, the cylinders r gonna need,, at least, honing. why not big bore kit?, etc... see where im going w/this. aw Shucks!! anyone got a Complete engine & tranni,overhauled, for sale? or, anyone know where i can buy a Crate engine? u know, something Totally done, all i have to do is bolt it in & sync my carbs?

·
Registered
54 Posts
the gear ratio;s are different from 92-95,, then 96-97,, then 98-99 all had different ratio;s..

the 96-97 had a strengthened gear train and a revised gear selector, apparently because it worked so well on the 95 cbr600.

i would stick with your model gearing if your used to it, and get a gasket kit and take the engine out, and take parts of both sides of the motor, turn it up side down and split the crank case, there isnt much need to do a full on engine strip, so you can leave the top end alone.
then inspect the parts and replace what's needed,, make sure you have a manual that should go with out saying,, take pictures as your doing it if its your first time, that way you can see how it was when its time to put it back together.

if your were to get a complete second hand gear box you need to inspect it before you buy, no point throwing money away hoping for a quick fix, unless you know what you looking at properly in the second hand area, stick with new parts..

it sounds like your drive dogs on the sides of the gears are worn, thats why its jumping out of gear when there is load on them,, also you will need to inspect your selector forks for damage..

good luck with what ever you do,, just take your time and read your manual, it's your friend.

·
Registered
596 Posts
the thing about all this is that there really isn't just a gear box you can swap. you would do the same amount of work to swap in gears you bought vs just replacing the broken parts. here's a few pics of mine opened up, you can see that once you get to where you can replace anything, you might as well just buy new gears and slip them on the shafts.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
you can see here how the engine is all one piece with the trans when it is all assembled, there isn't anything you can just unbolt and replace. also, a couple pics of the worn gears and fork i removed. you can see on the dogs on 2nd how they are not black but shine, and on 6th you can see the notches that stick up are worn so the dogs in 2nd won't hold. it is minor, i could have probably just replaced the fork and been good, YMMV.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts