Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I've bought a very nice OE exhaust end-can for my 93; correct stamped Honda numbers, no dents, baffles and threads all very good. The original factory paint was already stripped off, but what is the correct finish; satin, gloss and I'm assuming it's HT paint, but what have you used?

Or, has anyone had their end-can professionally painted - photos would be useful of both home jobs and professionally painted.

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Stock US 93 has the original exhaust. As you can see it is gloss black.

Brian
Thanks Brian,

The photo seems to have dissapeared?

Gloss it is - what make of gloss black VHT paint are others using to give the best finish - grateful for some photos of home jobs or professionally painted cans.

Andrew

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andrew I've just had mine done (again) but I used satin, whilst not quite factory correct I think it looks better. Cost me £40 to get it done professionally, the finish is amazing. You don't need VHT paint as it doesn't get that hot.
That does look very good Gunk, and the finish is excellent just what I'm after! I will probably go with gloss just to keep it stock - interesting about non-use of VHT, I'll chat to my painter.

I assume it's water based or did your painter use two-pack?

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
That does look very good Gunk, and the finish is excellent just what I'm after! I will probably go with gloss just to keep it stock - interesting about non-use of VHT, I'll chat to my painter.

I assume it's water based or did your painter use two-pack?
No idea, I gave him the £40 and f*cked off :grin

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
I've resurrected this after doing all the search functions and not finding what I need.

There was a recent resto thread in which @MrPickwick gave advice on exhaust can painting. I want to paint a stainless steel can to black. I'm reasonably knowledgeable with this stuff, but to confirm, would you guys merely rub down with alcohol, prime and then top coat? I'll be after a satin finish. I have learnt from other threads that VHT is not necessary on end cans.

I guess my main concern is about the smooth texture of stainless. Would I be advised to 'flatten' with Scotchbrite (scourer) first. Anticipated end result is to make an Erion copy.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
This brings back memories, I now own the OP’s bike!
Wow! I just plucked this as the closest to what I was looking for. It was before my time, but I do recall other conversations of your purchase.

Cheers for the painting tip; I shall get the appropriate paints!

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
I've resurrected this after doing all the search functions and not finding what I need.

There was a recent resto thread in which @MrPickwick gave advice on exhaust can painting. I want to paint a stainless steel can to black. I'm reasonably knowledgeable with this stuff, but to confirm, would you guys merely rub down with alcohol, prime and then top coat? I'll be after a satin finish. I have learnt from other threads that VHT is not necessary on end cans.

I guess my main concern is about the smooth texture of stainless. Would I be advised to 'flatten' with Scotchbrite (scourer) first. Anticipated end result is to make an Erion copy.

View attachment 107722
Think that was @Gunk who wrote about the painting, but all's well (y)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This thread has brought back some good memories to me of restoring/riding my old 93 Blade.
It also reminded me that I still have 3 end cans tucked up in my garage loft :rolleyes: - 2 correctly numbered for the 92/3 SC28, one painted gloss black with a partly stripped thread (can be helicoiled) and the other (the original one fitted to the bike from new) with some road rash on it, repairable. The third one is for a 94/5 SC28 painted satin black with a very slight ding - this was fitted to my 93 SC28 (photo below) before I sold it to Gunk when I replaced it with a very nicely painted correct OE end can.

Happy to provide more photos - please PM me if interested, no idea on prices but they won't be the silly prices I've seen on eBay for rubbish.

Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to hear from you Andrew, I was going to contact you just to ask if you changed the air filter when you had the air box off as I’m just about to service it and if it is not needed I won’t order one
Hope you're well and enjoying the Blade, that's is a very good original UK bike but I have no regrets about selling it to you. No, I didn't need to change the air filler as there was a new one in there already, so I just blew it through with air.

I'm enjoying the upright riding position two old girls, or will be again when I get my licence back on 2 July - all I can do for now is polish them.

Cheers,
Andrew

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,971 Posts
This thread has brought back some good memories to me of restoring/riding my old 93 Blade.
It also reminded me that I still have 3 end cans tucked up in my garage loft :rolleyes: - 2 correctly numbered for the 92/3 SC28, one painted gloss black with a partly stripped thread (can be helicoiled) and the other (the original one fitted to the bike from new) with some road rash on it, repairable. The third one is for a 94/5 SC28 painted satin black with a very slight ding - this was fitted to my 93 SC28 (photo below) before I sold it to Gunk when I replaced it with a very nicely painted correct OE end can.

Happy to provide more photos - please PM me if interested, no idea on prices but they won't be the silly prices I've seen on eBay for rubbish.

Cheers,
Andrew
View attachment 107727
Hey Andrew 👋, good to see you're still around matey 👍

1 - 20 of 20 Posts