Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New to the forum, but not to the 900. I owned a killer one back in 94 when it was the absolute hands down best sport bike of them all. Anyhow, since being out of the game for far too long, I recently met up with an old project 900 (1993) of mine started 15 years ago (the red one in photos). It can be seen in a thread for "pictures of your 900" or something like that. So, I recently got ahold of a crasher 99 900rr and was looking to use some bits off it. I would like anyone's input (besides the obvious cc difference, frame, and front end) about using the head of the 99 on the 93. Any suggestions, red alerts, and opinions would be welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

·
8,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told the crank was bent, but after further review getting it to turn over it looks as though it may not be. The number 4 left side intake valve is leaking. Gotta check the compression. If the motor is good and I can get the case welded up tidy I just may use the whole lump. I know the 93 ran 15 years ago with no issues. The 93's carbs are ready to go back in, just waiting for back ordered gasket kits to come in. I noticed that the 99 uses a TPS and the float needle valves are almost twice the size of the 93's. We'll have to wait and see I guess. Thanks for the suggestion Amorti. More to follow.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The float valve difference is because of the 93 uses a fuel pump and the 99 doesn't.

The TPS goes with the later CDI, but I see no reason the 99 engine wouldn't run with a fuel pump and no TPS on the 93 carbs, if the 99 cabs are no good but the 93 carbs are known ok.

·
8,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ok. I took my fuel pump off my original 93 and used a later model petcock with the vacuum assembly. That motor was bored out to 1024cc so I guess it's ok seeing as the 99 is only marginally larger than the 93. So the TPS not sending anything to the ECU won't effect the ignition at all? Or can I use the 93's ECU and carbs with the 99 motor and harness? So many questions, sorry bout that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
proviso - I am working only from logic, not experience.

The 99 engine is more efficient, smoother, etc. in part due to the TPS and 3D ignition map it permits within the ECU. If you lose the TPS and use the old ECU and carbs, then it should run in a similar way to the 93 originally. Why not? Carbs is carbs, once you get the jets right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts