Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to pull the trigger on a 94 California 900. It's clean and way under budget, so I have plenty money to tinker with. Please give me the lowbudget upgrade list.

Fork/wheel Swap: Less offset and 17" wheel?

Engine: 49 state cams, Factory Pro APK airbox kit, Ign. advancer. Any decent header and cannister.

Rear suspension: ?? Couldn't find anything on this.

Could someone give me some diffinitive answers on what to start shopping for?
Thanks from the forum Noob.
G.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I'd go steel brake lines for the front and drop a tooth off the front sprocket if it hasn't already been done.
Then ride it and see if there's anything else you aren't happy with.
Not much point changing a bike you haven't even ridden.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point.
But I am a relentless tinkerer.
I built a super FZR4/6 hybrid a few years back, and planned on doing the same with the 900.
Common sense tells me to spend my budget on another 636 (which is quicker than just about any bike regardless of displacement made before 2000, in bone stock form) but it just wouldn't be winter without a project in the garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damper vs. front end swap???
I dunno! Hence, the original post.

What is the concensus here for the smart upgrades on a reasonable budget. I did several searches and came across lots of varying options, but I'm hoping someone will step up and lay down the law.

What are the best mods for the first gen 900?

·
Registered
541 Posts
In my view the best thing about a 17" front wheel is more choice on modern tyres....

Slightly less flighty steering is a bonus (to me, but perhaps not to others).

I have done this to my 94/95 blade and I am well happy. The best modification I have made.

However, if you do it and don't like the difference, you should still be able to sell on the front wheel as there are still others who will prefer a 17" fron rim, and they fit a wide range of hondas from that period..

Check the forum for specific details on which rims fit which blades etc
Still be wary, the very first blade used a cable speedo from front wheel and I believe that this needs a different front rim option from the later (but still early) blades...

I'd still try the bike as standard though = the 16" rim may suit you...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts