Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add a fairing kit to my f2 which had previously been converted to a street fighter and cuttently has no fairings of any kind. I am not really a fan of the stunt bike look, but I got a deal on it.

My question is... do I need anything thing besides the farings to mount them to the bike? If so please list what I need. Also, what is a front fairing stay?

I am a noob to motorcycle modification. All help and advice is welcome.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I am looking to add a fairing kit to my f2 which had previously been converted to a street fighter and cuttently has no fairings of any kind. I am not really a fan of the stunt bike look, but I got a deal on it.

My question is... do I need anything thing besides the farings to mount them to the bike? If so please list what I need. Also, what is a front fairing stay?

I am a noob to motorcycle modification. All help and advice is welcome.
What all you'll need, depends on what all was removed in the conversion to a naked bike... post up some pics, of different angles, and I can tell you what all you'll need. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The fairing stay, by the way, is the black steel item in the pic below:

This mounts in front of the steering head, on the frame, and is used for mounting the upper cowling assembly, mirrors, and the OEM gauge cluster, acts as a junction for the wiring harness and the associated front end connections, and it aligns/supports the headlight assembly, which screws to the inside of the aforementioned 3-piece upper cowl assembly.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,205 Posts
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Besides the fairings, a mass amount of nuts, bolts, retainers, screws, and mounts You'll need patience. Things may not go together well right away and there will be items missing, but stick with it. JNS is the resident 600F2 series guru. He won't steer you wrong. Good luck, and start a thread about the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well, the obvious is that you'll need the fairing kit, mirrors, fairing stay, gauges/trim bezels, and either the entire rear fender/taillight/signal assembly, or the taillight and a fender eliminator kit - the one on my street F2 is from Competition Werkes.

So if you go original, you'll need EVERY part in these fiches: REAR FENDER ,
http://www.ronayers.com/TAILLIGHT-C186674.aspx
#'s 10, 12, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23 (18, 19, 20 & 23 - quantity of 2), in this fiche: TURN SIGNAL - F2 - 91-94

and #'s 2, 5, 6, & 7 (6&7 quantity of 2), in this fiche: SEAT

The above listing will be quite pricey, so eBay, Craisglist, forum sale threads, etc., will be a life-saver there.

If you are able to score a fender eliminator kit, you can eliminate some of these parts, and will only need:

All items from this fiche TAILLIGHT

Once again, #'s 2, 5, 6, & 7 (6&7 quantity of 2), in this fiche: http://www.ronayers.com/SEAT-C186658.aspx

and you will still need the items included in #1, in this fiche REAR FENDER

I can't tell from the pics, because they are a bit dark, but it looks like there's something else that's been removed, which are the brackets that mount on both sides of the motor, at the bottom, for completing the lower mounting of the large side fairing panels - if these are indeed gone, you'll also need: #'s 4, 5, 20, & 21 (20 quantity of 3) in this fiche LOWER COWL - F2 - 91-94

A cycle salvage could also be a good resource for picking up these things cheaper.

Depending on whether you choose aftermarket or OEM fairings, there may be some other small items needed for mounting the inspection panels to the upper cowl and lower fairings.

Lastly, a word of warning: a lot of fairing stays that are sold used, have been pulled from wrecked bikes, so they may be bent - given what a lot of folks are asking for fairing stays, it might be better to just get a new one, which is number 15 in this fiche: UPPER COWL - F2 - 91-94
It really depends on whether or not you can trust the seller, regarding the item being straight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! You truly are a guru. For now I am mostly focusing on what I need for the fairings. It is an after market set and the turn signal controls are broken/dismantled.

So, do I need the turn signal assembly to mount the rear fairings? Also do I have to mount the front fairings to mount the side fairings?

When it comes to the gauges/speedometer, is there a digital cluster you recommend for f2s?

Once again, thanks for the info. :clap:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thank you! You truly are a guru. For now I am mostly focusing on what I need for the fairings. It is an after market set and the turn signal controls are broken/dismantled.
Thanks, but I'm no guru, I'm just a guy that likes to work on bikes!
When you say turn signal controls are broken, are you talking about the left-hand switchgear on the handlebar?

So, do I need the turn signal assembly to mount the rear fairings? Also do I have to mount the front fairings to mount the side fairings?
No, you just need turn signals 'cuz you need turn signals! But they are not pertinent to the fairing mountings, but you will need the items from the "seat" fiche, and if you don't get a fender eliminator kit, you will need the items from the "rear fender" fiche.

Yes, you do need to mount the front cowling first, as the lowers lock into the uppers, then the front-most part of the tail goes over the rear edge of the lowers. And don't forget the brackets mentioned in the "lower cowling fiche, when mounting the lowers.

When it comes to the gauges/speedometer, is there a digital cluster you recommend for f2s?
Honestly, if you're new to these kind of things, I would recommend finding a used complete gauge cluster, as wiring in a gauge set might be overwhelming, since you did mention you were "noobish"... but there's lots of stuff out there, the Veypor VR3 (Veypor - Motorcycle Performance Intelligence), Trail Tech's Vapor (Trail Tech || Vapor - Speedometer & Tachometer), and KOSO has several offerings, which is what's on my race bike (Multi Functions).

Once again, thanks for the info. :clap:
No problem...

Two additional things: you do have a manual for the bike, yes?
I recommend a Honda service manual, and additionally, the Haynes manual.

Also, by any chance have you tried to follow the trail of previous owners, to see if all these parts might just happen to be sitting in boxes collecting dust? That could really simplify things, and significantly reduce costs!

By the way, what part of Illinois are you in?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the left handelbar controls have no buttons turnsignal or light. Just a choke and horn. I currently use hand signals religiously.

The bike had a lean on it and I had to purchase it from a title loan company. So im sure they dont wanna talk to me and I'm pretty sure they dont have the parts.

My cost projection minus shipping is around $1150 with everything you've told me... and a headlight and undented gas tank.

Does that seem accurate to you? And is it worth the investment? Not sure how well these things sell down the road... but this bike runs like a champ! Remarkably clean.

I will be ordering everything Sunday and building it next weekend if all parts are here. I will tag you in the build thread.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My cost projection minus shipping is around $1150 with everything you've told me... and a headlight and undented gas tank.

Does that seem accurate to you? And is it worth the investment? Not sure how well these things sell down the road... but this bike runs like a champ! Remarkably clean.

I will be ordering everything Sunday and building it next weekend if all parts are here. I will tag you in the build thread.
Not sure about the accuracy of the cost, as I haven't added it up, but like I said before, if you search eBay, Craigslist, and forum sale threads, you can probably shave that down significantly - you just gotta keep scouring and hold out for the right deals... even finding a fender eliminator kit, for around the typical $149 would save you some money on the parts for the rear.

Is it worth the investment? Nobody can answer that, except for you. Yeah, I don't mind at all spending some money on a facelift, especially if I didn't pay much for the bike to begin with, but I would try to source a lot of these parts used, to cut that number down quite a bit... without a doubt, you have a lot of items to get, and that can add up quickly!

Be sure to go through both of my threads, so you can get some info on the Hong Kong fairing sets, before you order - there are also others who have posted here on their experiences with them... they are NOT easy-squeezy... they take some "finangling", for sure! :crap:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts