Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally gathered enough parts to make a start on the refurb of my old Fireblade - this is what she looked like 12 years ago -

First job - no keys, so purchased an ebay key set - immediately realized that the ignition loom was about half the length it needs to be - chopped the old loom off and soldered to the new one - guessing the wires mainly since the colours were different !

Success it turns over and can hear 4 plugs firing - having not started for a solid 10 years !

Down the rabbit hole we go

The panels, while far from mint hide some horrific stuff - and a lesson in draining fluids if you're going to mothball a bike

I bought a low mileage fan from a 96 / 97 bike but found neither of the outer housings matched up with the new radiator mountings. I de rusted as best I could the original outer and added the motor from the newer fan, then chopped the rad switch wiring and spliced onto this so it's long enough to reach the 94 switch placement.

The mounting points were slightly off so had to drill a new hole on the longest tab
End result should last a bit longer - not intending to ride this in wet :)

A little stuck now - have all the old hoses off and the new ones ready to go on - just need to sort a new water joint first.
Will jump to wheel bearings / forks I think in meantime

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good start Shep, it’s a long winding road, but look on the bright side, shouldn’t overheat now (y)

Keep the updates coming

If your stuck on anything and need pictures to compare just shout, having got the same bike/colour

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Managed to fix a couple of things that were broken on the bike when I bought it originally that were bugging me.

Firstly, one of the seat captures was missing (funny thing this was also broken on my 1000rr) - so discovered nut rivets - very similar to pop rivets to install - £20 for a tool and enough rivets to last a lifetime :)

Secondly, the left hanger was bent, so the bike had either had a static drop or something as the peg was slightly forward and down - just annoying but I'd lived with it - gambled on ebay and it was straight so happy :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The peg rubbers were badly worn so ordered a Chinese set - £13 - the rubbers match the original but the bolts were miles off - cheap though so can't complain - springs were good enough too.

Rebuilt the seized rear master cylinder - so that's tidied up too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Long weekend so got busy with rebuilding the back end. Replaced wheel bearings and seals, something I'd not done before. Removed tyre, rubbed down bubbling paint on wheel and sprayed to tidy up. Added new tyre valve and put the new tyre on - another 1st time job, a lot harder than I thought it would be. Cleaned up sprocket carrier - Chain and sprocket look almost new still. Rebuilt caliper - needed new piston since the old one was badly pitted around the seals area - new seals / stainless pad pin / new pads. I bought a set of Hel brake lines and chose black with gold banjos, understated bit of bling I think, goes well with the bike. The line clips were pure rust - soaked in evaporust for 2 days, sprayed with Jenolite then gloss black, came out well. Used a spare 1000rr rear disc since the original was close to min thickness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I found from doing my ‘94 is that the build quality is so good that they are really easy to bring back from the brink.
Agreed, though I've seen the pics of your Matt black bike, underneath it looked less corroded than this one :)
The plastics on this are pretty good at least

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Managed to get the water joint pipe on ( CB900F Hornet one ) felt very delicate ! Had to trim the small pipe a little and attach both ends before mounting up on the engine block - so paranoid it would break :eek:

20210601_004141.jpg

Radiator / Fan now on, together with the hoses and painted fairing brackets

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Recent progress - Front end disassembled - stripped and painted steering column lower

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replaced front wheel bearings, painted wheel, then got the tyre on - failed to be able to inflate so called a local guy out to help - he ended up taking it to 90 psi to get it on !!! Now I know how to do the tyres, will probably not attempt it again - the rear was doable but the front is way too fiddly - worst job so far by a long way :)
I'd bought a set of EBC discs 10 years ago that were just pure rust so cleaned those up - bought new stainless fasteners all round - looks tidy
Rebuilt forks in the cheaty easy way - replaced seals and oil - had to rub down a lot of pitting around upper fork, it does look like the travel area is clear - next rebuild would definitely go for new fork tubes
Replaced headstock bearings - not for the faint hearted, particularly getting the old lower bearing off !

I had a lot of rust on the instrument bracket and handlebars so masked them all off - Jenolite then black - looks so much better
Added Renthal medium grips and bar ends from my stolen 1000rr ( I'd put R&G ones on that )
The levers had always been tatty and bent so replaced with cheap pretty ones for now - I know not for the purist, but I like the feel of these

Working out the cable routing is a fun exercise - when I bought the bike 12 years ago it had been put back completely wrong so was one of the first things I'd had to learn :)

Hit a bit of a wall with the front calipers sadly - they are in the freezer atm waiting for some heat shock therapy to try to release the welded in pad pins ! I may have to give up and resort to ebay !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts