Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 CBR900RR that I've taken down to the frame to powdercoat.  When I put it back together, I can install the original shock or one from a '97 model that I have extra.  They look like they would be interchangable, and assuming they are, what are the differences?  Is it worth it to put the '97 one on there since I already have it, or would it not make that big a difference?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found this:

Quote Rear suspension has also been altered, with a smaller diameter piston claimed to give a greater range of adjustments, and a reworked linkage ratio giving more progressive damping over a longer amount of travel.

So, are the linkages interchangable?

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
How many miles are on the shocks? I'd seriously consider popping in an aftermarket shock if you've got the bike apart that far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, I've got it APART :lol

I actually have a FOX TC shock that should fit it, but it's on my '97 project bike.  The story is, I've got this '95 and a '97.  I've just started the '95 earlier because I want to sell it (though I may ride it a bit first just to check it out, thus the question about shocks) and I'll probably keep the '97.  So, I'm not putting the seriously good stuff on the '95...  Anyway, the '97 shock looks really good, but I got it second-hand, so I'm not sure of the mileage.  The '95 has about 5k miles on it.

At this point, I'm thinking the '97 shock would be better, but I wonder if I should try to find a '96-7 linkage to go with it.  Will that fit the '95 frame?  Hmmmm....

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I had a '95 RR and I believe that one of the changes made in '96 was a different swingarm pivot point. Some say this was Honda's backdoor attempt to squelch the 'get rid of the nervous 16' front end' revelers. I don't know if this makes any difference but I would check it out.

-Kelvin

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
My $ .02 -

'97 shock = unknown mileage, plus possible linkage change hassle

'95 shock = only 5K miles, and you know it will bolt right up

Since you're selling the bike, to me it's a no-brainer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guys, keep 'em comin'! I've got an extra '97 swingarm lying around as well, so maybe I should offer that up and see how it all fits-up (but I might want to keep it to replace the RC45 arm on my '97 if I sell it later on). And yeah, sticking it all back how I took it apart would be easier if I'm going to sell it, but I'm a hopeless tinkerer and may end-up riding it a bit first

1 - 7 of 7 Posts