Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm pretty new to riding. Have had a 1995 honda cbr600 f3 for about 3 months now, with 45k miles on it. I am having two problems with it, one starting after it got out of the shop. It was in the shop for a carb cleaning and service. The mechanic installed a second fuel filter in between the tanks and carbs. Since then, it has difficulty starting. I have to give it gas in order for it to start and was wondering if the fuel filter could cause that, seeing as there are two filters on the bike. Secondly, the top speed is supposed to be around 150. I can only get it to about 110, and thats top gear 12.5k rpm. The engine just seems to be weak for a 600.... Anyone know what could cause this weakness? Its rather disappointing. Other than that it runs and idles great. Any helpful info will be greatly appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey I'm pretty new to riding. Have had a 1995 honda cbr600 f3 for about 3 months now, with 45k miles on it. I am having two problems with it, one starting after it got out of the shop. It was in the shop for a carb cleaning and service. The mechanic installed a second fuel filter in between the tanks and carbs. Since then, it has difficulty starting. I have to give it gas in order for it to start and was wondering if the fuel filter could cause that, seeing as there are two filters on the bike. Secondly, the top speed is supposed to be around 150. I can only get it to about 110, and thats top gear 12.5k rpm. The engine just seems to be weak for a 600.... Anyone know what could cause this weakness? Its rather disappointing. Other than that it runs and idles great. Any helpful info will be greatly appreciate it.

Maybe the filter is backwards or blocked.
Either the gearing is very low or your clutch is slipping - or your speedo is wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe I have a 48T rear srpocket.. not sure about the front.. What is the optimum gearing for this bike? Im not looking for stunt, Im looking for top speed. As of now i can do power wheelies in first at around 8k rpm so Im thinking the gearing is for stunting. My speedometer reads about 65 going next to a person on the interstate, so its not off by very much, at least at lower speeds. If it is the gearing.... what sizes should i get? Also the acceleration from 95 to 110 takes an entire powerband from 9k rpm to 13.5k so i know something is up..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
A 48-tooth in the rear is not so big that it would keep you from higher speeds than 110, I wouldn't think - though, you haven't reported on your front sprocket, bearing in mind that dropping a tooth in the front is equivalent to +2 or 3 in the rear, roughly - do you know what your front sprocket tooth count is?
I'm still leaning toward Blade's suggestion of a faulty speedo or that your clutch is slipping, but you ought to be able to spot such a thing.
Speaking of the speedo, since the speedo on an F3 is driven from the front sprocket, changes in size would definitely skew your readings - you might look into that as well - that's one of the things I love about the F2, the speedo is driven from the front wheel, so changes in gearing don't have any affect on readings :D

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I believe I have a 48T rear srpocket.. not sure about the front.. What is the optimum gearing for this bike? Im not looking for stunt, Im looking for top speed. As of now i can do power wheelies in first at around 8k rpm so Im thinking the gearing is for stunting. My speedometer reads about 65 going next to a person on the interstate, so its not off by very much, at least at lower speeds. If it is the gearing.... what sizes should i get? Also the acceleration from 95 to 110 takes an entire powerband from 9k rpm to 13.5k so i know something is up..

Stock gearing should give you the maximum top speed although you can usually go down a little with no loss of speed.
Is that acceleration in fourth or sixth gear?
4500rpm for 15mph is definately not right so you need to check your clutch. Is the cable properly adjusted?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts