Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a 893, 1995 model. Its in great shape except for the electrical which I believe is temperamental. The Batter was not picking up a charge so I figured it was the rectifier or regulator.

Unfortunately I had a long 3 hour ride recently and just before I got back home the bike stalled. When I restarted the first time it started and ran but when i tried to rev the engine it stalled again. I could not restart and noticed the instruments lights very dim.

Got it home on my truck and found the battery was cooking hot. Checked the voltage after disconnecting it and it was 13 v dc even though it would last for days without using my headlight it now seemed to be getting a charge. Let the battery cool and plugged back in. Still 13 v until I switch the ignition on. Almost zero voltage and no start or even instrument lights?

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought a 893, 1995 model. Its in great shape except for the electrical which I believe is temperamental. The Batter was not picking up a charge so I figured it was the rectifier or regulator.

Unfortunately I had a long 3 hour ride recently and just before I got back home the bike stalled. When I restarted the first time it started and ran but when i tried to rev the engine it stalled again. I could not restart and noticed the instruments lights very dim.

Got it home on my truck and found the battery was cooking hot. Checked the voltage after disconnecting it and it was 13 v dc even though it would last for days without using my headlight it now seemed to be getting a charge. Let the battery cool and plugged back in. Still 13 v until I switch the ignition on. Almost zero voltage and no start or even instrument lights?

Any advise would be appreciated.

When you say the battery was not taking a charge, exactly how much voltage were you seeing across the battery with the engine running?
If you run jumper cables to a car battery do you get lights?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi bladeracer,

Thanks mate. Your info was spot on. Seems the battery is fried. I will put a new one in and test the standing voltage vs 4000rpm voltage and try figure out what happened.

Cheers

Gavin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Just bought a new battery and not sure if I should get a new rectifier. Any idea what the voltages should be on the battery with engine running and off?

Regards

Gavin

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi,

Just bought a new battery and not sure if I should get a new rectifier. Any idea what the voltages should be on the battery with engine running and off?

Regards

Gavin

Off would be around 12.8-13.2V.
Engine running should be about 13.5-14.5V I'd guess.
The manual will have the specific numbers for your model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks mate. found the charge at 2500rpm was in excess of 17vdc. just bought a new rr so hope to install and solve the problem finally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My new rr has 6 wires. 3 yellow which I believe can be connected to any of the existing 3 yellows on the bike and a red, black and green. any idea if that matches the existing wiring?

Cheers

Gavin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts