Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the hardest time trying to figure out why my CBR600 F3 kills on me. I have read through a ton of past post to see if something is close but couldn't find an answer so sorry if this isn't new. PROBLEM: When I start on a cruise with a freshly charged battery and I'm only out for half hour or so in town, when I come to stoplights and pull the cluch in the bike will die. The only way to keep it running is to keep the rmps up by throttling it. Sometimes when I get to my destination shut it off and try to restart it, its dead. I can push start or jump start it to get it running again. Now, so I take it home and run some test on it. Sometime when I get it home the bike will stay running on its own. From the many test I have run on the stator and RR and ground nothing seems to be wrong. I tested it again today and decided to add a ground from the RR directly to the battery.

If anyone has some new suggestions to try I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
The battery should be put under a load and tested. If the battery is good, that means stator or the regulator. If the batter is a few years old, then it might be time for a new one.

There are only three components; battery, stator and the regulator. A failure on one can cause a failure on the other(s) as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the battery tested and was told it is good. I also bought a new one and put it in but that didnt help so I returned the battery. Ive found a couple tests for both the stator and rectifier and when I test them it shows there is nothing wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Milles9,

If all three show nothing is wrong; then the problem is a figment if your imagination. You can get misleading readings at times from the components. I have also heard of people having a battery tested and it passed but their issues went away with a new battery.

The strongest weakness that Honda has is their voltage regulator. Might try replacing it with an aftermarket one and see if that solves the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I bought a new rectifier with heatsink fins and that seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks to everyone who commented. For those that have a similar problem one thing I've also noticed corrected itself after RR replacement is that my speedometer used to be over by about 5 mph and now its almost dead on. FYI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts