Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just been out on the blade and noticed thats its pissing fork oil do i only need to get the seals or is there other o rings i need to get as well.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The fork seals should be what you need. Do both forks at the same time, even if only one is leaking.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
If your dust seals ( the ones you see ) are cracked or hardened buy new ones. If you are able to, buy new fork bushings. The reason i say it is Honda recomends you change them all at the same time. When seperating the chrome tubes from the lowers it requires a "hammering" slide action which essentially uses the bushing as the hammer that drives the sections apart from each other.

I've redone the seals on my 95, if you need help just ask.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok I noticed that I have the same prob. I have never attempted a fork seal job so I am probly gonna send it to the shop.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should tell the shop to do? Should I just tell to them to replace the seals and bushings? Anything else while they are in there? What should I expect to pay?

Ps. Only 2k miles on the 95 and already a leak!! :(

Thanks for any help.
sorry for the jackin the thread!!

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Locally in Phoenix Arizona the going rate to replace bushings, seals, and fork oil is $150 if you bring the forks in off the bike. about $250 if you bring the whole bike in. This is most likely based on $60-80 hr labor charge. I'm not sure what they charge in your area per hour. The price included parts.
You shouldn't really need any other parts. If your chrome slider tubes are scratched you may have to replace them at around $400-600 a pop. Light surface scratches can be smoothed down with 1000-1500 grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just an update got my forks stripped down last night and the oil seals were completely shot. was wondering what is a good make of fork oil to get ie viscosity etc

·
Registered
737 Posts
Locally in Phoenix Arizona the going rate to replace bushings, seals, and fork oil is $150 if you bring the forks in off the bike. about $250 if you bring the whole bike in. This is most likely based on $60-80 hr labor charge. I'm not sure what they charge in your area per hour. The price included parts.
If that includes the seals, bushings and oil, that is a fair price.

You shouldn't really need any other parts. If your chrome slider tubes are scratched you may have to replace them at around $400-600 a pop. Light surface scratches can be smoothed down with 1000-1500 grit sandpaper.
Yep. If the tubes need replacing, that would definitely be the time to update to the 929/954 upside down fork front end and 17" wheel!

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
If you're replacing the seals you want to check the forks to make sure you don't have any nicks or scratches...otherwise you'll be replacing them again before you know it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts