Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i did it. had original 190mm and decided to go with 200. not that much different from 190 although it's a bit stiffer on the turns. other than that it looks great. went with Shinko R005. spoke with service guy today and he said 180-190 is okay but 200 is pushing it. i guess ill have to live with it until it wears out. anyone else running 200 on a blade?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes sir. Love the 200mm tire. I'm running the Metzler M3's on my bike. Rode on the 190's for a long time but really love the 200mm tire. I am going to continue to run the 200mm for now on. I did lower my front end a little to compensate the turns a bit, but overall great tire. Here shortly, I am going to go to the 240 kit, with a 6" stretch. My brother has it on his and its great. You can still get some good cornering out of it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I am going to go to the 240 kit, with a 6" stretch. My brother has it on his and its great. You can still get some good cornering out of it.
compared to what? a honda vtx1800. hey if you like it do what makes you happy. the day im itching to buy a 240 kit with a 6" stretch is the day i belong on a cruiser or a chopper. if drag racing or a show queen i could see giving up some handling. otherwise i cant imagine wanting to reduce the quick handling nature of such a fast bike...

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
compared to what? a honda vtx1800. hey if you like it do what makes you happy. the day im itching to buy a 240 kit with a 6" stretch is the day i belong on a cruiser or a chopper. if drag racing or a show queen i could see giving up some handling. otherwise i cant imagine wanting to reduce the quick handling nature of such a fast bike...
:pointup: :plus1:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very good point shakey. Your sarcrificing so much handling capabilities by making minor or major tyre change's not to mention structural change's like to the swing arm. If it's the one thing i would stick with, then it is the manufacturer's tyre size choice.

But hey, whatever float's your boat:idunno: .

·
Registered
55 Posts
I personally run a 200, took some getting used to, My front wheel has trouble staying on the ground sometimes for miles, but I do get low in the curves, gotta push a bit harder to get it down, once it starts to go low it gets normal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
well i did it. had original 190mm and decided to go with 200. not that much different from 190 although it's a bit stiffer on the turns. other than that it looks great. went with Shinko R005. spoke with service guy today and he said 180-190 is okay but 200 is pushing it. i guess ill have to live with it until it wears out. anyone else running 200 on a blade?
It's cool man, I put a 170 on my F3 because it looked better than the 160, lol. I also had a set of the Shinko Advance 005's, not bad tires for the money. Probably what I'll put on when my current tires wear out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am also running a 200 using Dunlop Sportmax D211 GP for road and the odd track day on my 954 (awesome tyres and look good) I recently done a track day at knockhill circuit (Scotland)and agree it does take a little more effort to turn in but still stable and well planted going into turns. I have not noticed any other issues and will continue using them in the future.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well I had a 250 rear with a 21" front tire with a 6* tree rake on my VTX1800F before I couldnt stand to ride it any more. It made the ride so horrible, I sold it for an RC51. It totally changes the geometry of the bike, to the worse for me. I ride my bikes. I don't bar hop. Thats what that mod made my VTX into. Not for me.
A 200 on a sportbike wouldn't be to terrible, I wouldnt think. But I have never ridden one with on eeither. I like how easy it is to turn the bike on corners. I don't want to fight the bike. I want it to flow into the corners.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i ran one once on my 954 and loved the way it looked, but i tend to get a little agressive in the corners and didnt like the extra effort i had to put into it. i went back to the 190 and never looked back. the 200 calls every so often wanting to get back together, but the relationship was to much work. had to get my # changed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hmm, i had a 2009 yamaha Raider that comes with a 210 rear and i went to the 240. that was noticably different, but the tire didnt look much wider like i wanted cause the rim same width. what it did was make the profile more round and prob overall tire diameter increased. the 210 was real flat and hard to push into coner...super low side profile too. I think the 240 made it corner better, but we are talking sport bikes not sport cruisers...im just saying, that was drastic change but seemed bette cause profile more round. that bike designed for going straight mostly. anyway, I went to 150 from 140 on drz super moto and that was perfect...it put more meat on the ground and seems tougher? I really want to put a 200 on my 2012 rr...i just wanna see...i dont think i will regret too much if looks awesome? thing is, it handles perfect and would hate to compromise that at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
heres the other thing...I was in the store and laid a dunlop q2 (190) on the ground next to a pilot power (190) and the difference was almost an inch! the profile on those two tires very diff....q2 more rounded and pilot flat. looks like the pilot just extended the side out to a point where the q2 rolls down (if that makes sense?). most people have a strip on outer edge of tire where they dont lean far enough, and especially on the q2. I would say the q2 for more aggressive rider? if you have the flatter pilot, you gonna use the side edges of the tire more, but turning prob starts to get limited at certain point. I like the wider look of the pilots and plus I dont lean super hard cause my personal limits, so the pilot is for me. my buddy runs q2 on his gsxr1000 and leans hard to me, but still has edge he not using. you would have to be leaning big time to use that edge. guess thats why the q2 got #1 for performance ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts