Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!
I've been trying to rebuild my 02 954 for the past 3 months and i'm about to lose my ****.
The bike developed a rod knock so I tared it apart and found a couple of spun bearings. The crank was also damaged so I took it to a machine shop to get it rebalanced and polished. The guy who owns the shop "fixed" it, but I felt like the dude was pulling my finger so I took it to a freind who has a bike service shop just for a second opinion. The machine shop guy had indeed polished and balanced the crank, but my friend said that the crank was originally damaged beyond repair and that my engine would grenade in no time if I reassembled it. But he said that some dude left a 929 engine, because the engine mounts were broken and that if the cranks are the same he would give me the engine for free. I've heard that the 929/954 engines are the same except for the 1mm difference in the bore.
Can someone tell me if that crank is gonna fit in my engine before I throw the bike off a cliff with the machine shop dude tied to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It should.run the parts number I would check the bearing clearances before I would assemble for sure.. I've got 2 954 motors and but the blocks have different letter stamped into them.the letters are there in order to crank bearings.im not to sure

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
Hello guys!
I've been trying to rebuild my 02 954 for the past 3 months and i'm about to lose my ****.
The bike developed a rod knock so I tared it apart and found a couple of spun bearings. The crank was also damaged so I took it to a machine shop to get it rebalanced and polished. The guy who owns the shop "fixed" it, but I felt like the dude was pulling my finger so I took it to a freind who has a bike service shop just for a second opinion. The machine shop guy had indeed polished and balanced the crank, but my friend said that the crank was originally damaged beyond repair and that my engine would grenade in no time if I reassembled it. But he said that some dude left a 929 engine, because the engine mounts were broken and that if the cranks are the same he would give me the engine for free. I've heard that the 929/954 engines are the same except for the 1mm difference in the bore.
Can someone tell me if that crank is gonna fit in my engine before I throw the bike off a cliff with the machine shop dude tied to it.
Partzilla has the 929 (00-01) and the 954 (02-03) showing different part numbers, so unless you find someone that has done it and says its OK, I'm saying they are different and won't work (only based on the part numbers being different, and not being cross compatible according to Partzilla).

·
Registered
8 Posts
It won’t work trust I’m dealing with that right now as My old mechanic dropped my 929 and put a 954 on my bike and haven’t done nothing else after and took it to another shop and he doing the same thing which is frustrating and planning on grabbing my bike from them and work on it myself

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response guys!
Well I did check the parts number and they are different, but I can't understand what the difference is since the stroke is the same (54) and the sprocket has the same number of teeth.
Also as far as my understanding of these engines goes the only difference is the 1mm overbore on the 954rr (and the electronics and fuel delivery system of course).
Really can't make up my mind if weather I should trust the machine shop dude and put new bearings and call it good or put the 29 crank.
Something tells me that it is going to grenade either way, but I wont know unless I try.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
It won’t work trust I’m dealing with that right now as My old mechanic dropped my 929 and put a 954 on my bike and haven’t done nothing else after and took it to another shop and he doing the same thing which is frustrating and planning on grabbing my bike from them and work on it myself

So what's the actual problem that prevents the crank being used?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts