Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a conversion and am looking for front end parts of the 929/954..
Let me know if you can help..

Cheers

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yup, looking there too... BTW the 1000RR forks are too short unfortunately. :) Cheers
I hope you didnt get that info from a certain "know it all" by the name of gixxerkiller on RRZONE

The 1000RR forks are only 10 mm shorter than the 929/954 forks not an inch as that moron stated, he looked in the manual and saw that the 1000RR spring free length was 1" shorter (actually 38mm) and some how came to the conclusion that the forks were 1 inch shorter overall :rolleyes:

Im not sure what the overall "fork length" on the 900RR is? But I can give you the 1000RR and 954 measurements.
The best way if you are going to do a conversion is to support the front end of the bike preferably with a steering stem stand and measure the "total fork length" (this is just a means to an end, more importantly we want to know the distance from the front axle is from the a fixed point on the headstock)

1)Total fork length with the front end extended
(this is the most important as 2 and 3 can be adjusted via spring preload)

then take it off the stand and measure

2) Static ride height
3) Ride height with you on board

A good reference point is the center of the front axle to the fork cap (or fork cap/fork tube mating surface) if you are doing a strait fork swap.

or

to a reference point on the headstock if you are changing tripple clamps as well, that way you can set your bikes geometry as close to standard as possible so you have a familiar base point to start from, that way you will be comparing apples to apples when trying to nut out any handling problems that may arise after the conversion, of course there is another variable (fork offset with different tripple clamps which may affect trail, although thats a another discussion)

Just dont rule out the 1000RR front end thats all, especially when you can pick them up for nearly the same price as 929/954 stuff with a better brake set up.

Cheers Jai :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments Jai. I'll take your word for it as to the length of the 1k forks. I cannot honestly remember who I got the info from but what ever the length, you'll agree they are shorter and even a 10mm I don't really want to drop the front that much.

It's a moot point anyway because I'm trying to this as cheaply as possible which means re-using my 900 brakes :)

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts