Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has probably been answered on this forum, but will an exhaust off a 954 bolt on to a 929?

·
Registered
755 Posts
No,the stock 954 cannister will not fit without cutting/grinding to fit.I did mount a stock 954 can on my 929 and I also have an extra stock 954 can if you are interested and let me know if you want more detail on the install.

·
Registered
21 Posts
headers from a 954 fit on a 929 fine. you could use the 954 can i guess. i have 02 954 headers on my 00 929 with a hindle, never checked with the stock can though sorry.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My bad,after re-reading the first post,there was not enough info and i ASSumed too much.Aftermarket mufflers are interchangable,stock 954 to 929 is not without modification of flange opening on muffler.I had to cut/grind the opening on the stock 954 muffler in order to bolt on muffler,other than that the bolt pattern and muffler hanger match up.I used a dremel to cut opening,after burning through many cutting disks,I finally bought a steel carbide cutting tip,this worked much better.Make sure you use your 929 muffler gasket so you know how much material to cut.Sorry I do not have any pictures,the wife has the digital camera,and she is not sure where she put it.Do this and you now have a low cost titanium muffler on your 929.If you want to be really squiddly like me,you can also cut the baffle out of muffler,sounds good to me.Is squiddly a word?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Welcome to the org B!Noticed you live in CA,make sure to get a 49 state muffler so you eliminate the catalytic convertor!I also removed 02 sensor and all CA emissions.When you're broke,free mods are all you got!

B

·
0 Posts
I don't understand why

Aftermarket mufflers are interchangable,stock 954 to 929 is not without modification

I also don't understand exactly what may need to be modified.  Can someone please explain in more detail and include pictures.  I have a couple of minor scratches on my stock canister and if it is only going to cost a couple bucks more than shipping I would like to swap the canister with that of a 954.

thanks

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sorry,I still don't have photos.The flange opening(where the 3 bolts bolt on the muffler) is larger on the 929 than on the 954,this is why the stock 954 muffler has to be cut/ground in order to fit,this is why I suggested using the 929 muffler gasket as a template on the 954 muffler opening so you cut/grind the correct amount of material the first time.This is why I could never be a teacher,I suck at explaining simple things!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts