Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone bought/installed a big bore kit on a 954? I know Wiseco has one 1mm over. Any information/feedback on big bore kits on a 54 is greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
The above link is relating to a 929 but they both have the same stroke (54mm) just the 929 has a 74mm bore and the 954 has a 75mm bore therefore with the 76mm big bore kit you are refering to they both end up at 980cc, the only other point although the 954 has 1mm bigger pistons they are actually lighter than the 929 pistons as they have a smaller skirt than the 929(more of a slipper design) , so im not sure how the aftermarket pistons compare to these, maybe if you shop around you can find the lightest set?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
You could always purchase something with a thousand cc's to begin with and not have to worry about boring and such.

Btw, that's a damned funny avatar!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Chain : You could always purchase something with a thousand cc's to begin with and not have to worry about boring and such.
this coming from a guy that owns a sewing machine for a motorcycle... 'D

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
ccwilli3 : Quote (Chain @ Oct. 31 2003, 7:57am)You could always purchase something with a thousand cc's to begin with and not have to worry about boring and such.
this coming from a guy that owns a sewing machine for a motorcycle...
IMO, a twin or triple will always outscore an inline four in the character department. That said, have you ever heard Yamaha's 20-valve R1 motor spin up? It's got a certain burble that, while not exactly exotic, sure sounds better than my generic sounding 954's mill. Seriously, they really DO sound different than 4-valve per cylinder machines. Pretty cool actually.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Chain : That said, have you ever heard Yamaha's 20-valve R1 motor spin up? It's got a certain burble that, while not exactly exotic, sure sounds better than my generic sounding 954's mill. Seriously, they really DO sound different than 4-valve per cylinder machines. Pretty cool actually.
There's a term for your statements, Chain. It's called 'cognitive dissonance'.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
tigerblade : There's a term for your statements, Chain.  It's called 'cognitive dissonance'.  
Perhaps.

I was only trying to keep from busting out my new signature emoticon ( ) and reply in a more intellectual manner instead.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Chain : Quote (ccwilli3 @ Oct. 31 2003, 8:48am)Quote (Chain @ Oct. 31 2003, 7:57am)You could always purchase something with a thousand cc's to begin with and not have to worry about boring and such.
this coming from a guy that owns a sewing machine for a motorcycle...
IMO, a twin or triple will always outscore an inline four in the character department. That said, have you ever heard Yamaha's 20-valve R1 motor spin up? It's got a certain burble that, while not exactly exotic, sure sounds better than my generic sounding 954's mill. Seriously, they really DO sound different than 4-valve per cylinder machines. Pretty cool actually.
Have you heard a 929/954 with a snappy race fuel map, exhaust, CAI and cams? I assure you, it gets your attention.

Of course, IMO, sound is a very personal thing. The higher the revs the better, so, twins and triples don't do it for me. The R6 on the other hand...

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
As Jungleboy already showed (link above), I bored my 929 out and am very happy with the results. It would have very similar results as others have stated the 954 is pretty much the same motor. On my bike, I have the 954 throttlebodies/injectors as well. Definately a good 'bang for the buck' if you're doing the labor yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts