Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard from the dyno guy who is mapping my bike. All done.
Before peak rwhp 127, peak torque 65 - after peak rwhp 136, peak torque 70. :thumb:
He also said he did a 60% throttle run which resulted in an 8 hp gain at peak.
Can't wait to ride it to see if the numbers match the way it feels :evilaugh:
Fuel system is standard apart from a Micron slipon.

The map I had which felt a lot better than stock was from the Dynojet site and was for a Euro model 954 with a Micron slipon. I had found it to be the best of several maps on the site. Just goes to show...

More when I've ridden it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should point out that the power gains above are not from a slip on or anything.
They are just due to an improved fuel map.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dont forget that that dyno run is just for 100% throttle. If you compared say 20% or 40% part throttle runs I'm sure you would see even bigger improvements!

Oh yeah - nice curves......

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
King Kenny said:
Dont forget that that dyno run is just for 100% throttle. If you compared say 20% or 40% part throttle runs I'm sure you would see even bigger improvements!

Oh yeah - nice curves......
Yeah he did a 60% throttle run when I think it was up from 108 to 113 at peak.
On that graph instead of torque he had fuel/air mix before and after. The before one was all over the place whereas the after was pretty flat through the rev range.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The problem is, the "pre map" graph is the 1st run............. ask to see the 2nd or 3rd run, they will be higher. That is a BIG gain from just mapping..

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Sook said:
The problem is, the "pre map" graph is the 1st run............. ask to see the 2nd or 3rd run, they will be higher. That is a BIG gain from just mapping..
D'oh!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Sook said:
I found out that the "pre map" graph wasn't the 1st or worst run before mapping. It was about the "2nd or 3rd" of 3. But that map was from the user map database on Dynojet site and was a map for a French 954 with the same end can as mine. It was submitted by Tournay-Distribution. Apparently my bike was running too lean almost everywhere with that map. I've got the fuel/air ratio graph before and after and I can post that if anyone is interested. They are quite different.

·
Registered
381 Posts
" Apparently my bike was running too lean almost everywhere with that map"

if it's lean everywhere, it could be that the Throttle position information is little off. Maybe in your bike or at the bike the map was from?

I think it needs to be set when installing PC. Hook the PC up, connect to computer, give it WOT and choose set this as WOT. Haven't done the installation yet, but I just read the manual throught.

Or the airpressure is different or something.

JakeT.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JakeT said:
"

I think it needs to be set when installing PC. Hook the PC up, connect to computer, give it WOT and choose set this as WOT. Haven't done the installation yet, but I just read the manual throught.
Thanks for that JakeT.
I hadn't read that bit in the instruction manual. I'll have another look at them. But the Dyno operator used his software to correct the throttle position sensor inaccuracies apparently. I'll check it out next time I hook up the PC3 to the computer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If it's tuned to that TPS setting and gives good power, don't adjust it. Just keep the setup you have. If you set it now, you may loose power.

But it could be the inaccuracy was at the bike the map was from.

JT

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sweet, looks like you got a pretty nice job done there. I'm sure he did a pretty decent job, but it looks like the previous map you had was shite! Nothing like a sweet running bike. I'm thinking of getting my ZX10R mapped with the stock pipe just to see what difference it'l make. Should be interesting. Now if I could just crack the stock ECU .... :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
got motivation after reading this and it was rainy day, so I thought what the hell. It's time to install PC to my 954.

Pretty quick, steering damper off, saddle off, raise the tank, route the wires, plug it. Connect to computer(little windows trouble offcourse), download european model stock map, and stuff back everything. I also set the throttle position from PC program . Quick job. Then helmet and little test drive. I only got little low speed driving, it seems smoother low down. Runs good. 3000-4000 torgue feels stronger then before..

Well worth the install :thumb:

I post first impression when I get some more test km's.

i let the bike idle with laptop connected, couldn't make the map to show which point it's using? But bike was idling and I changed the 0 throttle 1500 and 1000 area first to 10->upload(idle slowed down), then 20->upload, idle slowed more. Then back to zero, then -5->pretty same as 0. Fun thing to play with. And my hands are not smelling like petrol. :thumb:

Jake.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took the bike back to the dyno because the low rpm/low throttle behaviour wasn't right.
I'd also been noticing a clunky sort of missing when crawling in low speed traffic.
I was watching while the guy had the bike running connected to his computer when it clunked.
He thought it might be the flapper cutting in/out because he could feel it through the tank.
But I could tell he was thinking :huh:
Anyway he fixed the low/low fuel and it had much smoother take-up from zero
throttle to just open but the clunking still happened intermittently.
Next day I was downloading the new map to my computer and I went to start
the bike and nada. The fuel pump wasn't coming on with the ignition so I pulled the seat
and checked the fuses. All checked out OK. :huh: :hmm:

I had a feel around underneath the side beam of the frame where the PC3
plugs into the fuel harness and could feel a loose snap connector dangling.
I lifted the tank and found the lead to the fuel pump was disconnected.
The only thing I can think of was that my suspension guy must have partially
disconnected it when he was fitting the shock. Anyway it seems to have
fixed that clunking.
I'm just glad I was able to trace the problem.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yep. Like I thought, it is a big gain just from mapping, and as a dyno run, the maps that either come with the pc when you get it, or just download from the net, usually give less power than a ZERO map for your bike. I think you'd find that if they (and I don't know why they didn't, as it's the only way to show you the true "before and after mapping" graph) ran the "pre map" with the zero map, the gain might not have been so much. It MIGHT have, don't get me wrong, just saying..

Who did the work RP?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Sook said:
Who did the work RP?
Brett is the name of the guy. He used to be chief mechanic at Canberra Motorcycle Centre.
After he'd done the low throttle 2-3 krpm adjustment (he took some fuel out of the ratios at up to 10% throttle) it was better but it still wasn't entirely happy at traffic crawling (1st gear, 15-20kph) so on the weekend I leaned the fuel out a little more for the 2-3krpm up to 10% throttle and it is much happier. Brett says it is a bit tricky to get that just right on the dyno.

But I've also noticed the bike is using quite a bit more fuel. I know the cold weather and extended warmups normally cause this to some extent but I'm finding the fuel light coming on at 140 to 150 k whereas with the PC stock map it was around 180 to 190. Brett said he has mapped the bike for max power at all speeds but he can lean it out a little at cruising speeds to conserve fuel a little so I'm taking it back to get an economy adjustment done on Wednesday for cruising speeds/throttle settings. I'll save the fanging map for weekend playtime :evilaugh: and use the economy one for commuting and touring.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bacchus said:
Nice, RP! :thumb: And yes, I'm gonna call you again one weekend and hassle you... I have your number! :eyebrows:
I look forward to it Bacci. :thumb: But I'll be away for the next couple of weekends.
BTW I saw this earlier today and thought it might be just your thing.:alcohol:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts