Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 954 with about 18,000 km's. Always over maintained and pampered, but ridden moderately hard. 99% sport riding/touring, a couple of track days. Frequent oil changes. Last year detected some infrequent knocking from the engine, usually at idle, going away with increased rpm. This year, knocking is more frequent and only occasionally do I not hear it. Has anyone else on the forum experienced this? I've spoken with another 954 owner who has the same problem. Honda says "we haven't heard anything like this". Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
take a long screwdriver or pry bar, put the handle against your ear and the other end on different parts of the engine and see if you can hear where the noise is coming from. once you locate the general place in the engine where the noise is you have it narrowed down to whatever is in that part of the engine. Learned this trick from a friend's father who is a mechanic, we all call him The Legend because as he says "if it has an engine I can fix it"

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
ConqSoft said:
Or buy a stethoscope.
yeah but then you might slip and burn your hand. how high a temp can a stethoscope handle? the screwdriver/pry bar way doesn't involve buying anything since you probably already have one. the longer the better so you can get your head away from the total noise of the engine.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
CBR929RE said:
yeah but then you might slip and burn your hand. how high a temp can a stethoscope handle? the screwdriver/pry bar way doesn't involve buying anything since you probably already have one. the longer the better so you can get your head away from the total noise of the engine.
http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1485

·
Registered
102 Posts
There have been cases of "knocking" due to piston scuffing. The pistons in the 954 (as in other brands/models) have little or no "skirt". Essentially you have the piston top and just the bosses that hold the wrist pin. The crown of the piston is approximately 5/8" or 16mm thick. In addition the "skirts" have a moly coating. The only fix is replace the top cylinder and pistons/rings.
If your bike is still under warranty, Honda "should" repair it. But to get Honda to warranty the problem, you have to have your dealer tear the motor apart to see if this is the problem.
Sugoi8

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Sugoi8 said:
There have been cases of "knocking" due to piston scuffing. The pistons in the 954 (as in other brands/models) have little or no "skirt". Essentially you have the piston top and just the bosses that hold the wrist pin. The crown of the piston is approximately 5/8" or 16mm thick. In addition the "skirts" have a moly coating. The only fix is replace the top cylinder and pistons/rings.
If your bike is still under warranty, Honda "should" repair it. But to get Honda to warranty the problem, you have to have your dealer tear the motor apart to see if this is the problem.
Sugoi8
Then why would the noise go away when the RPMs go up?

Conq: Good one! Just make sure that when using the mechanics Stethoscope, DO NOT SMACK IT AGAINST ANYTHING HARD!
Don't ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think I may know what you're talking about. I'll hear a knocking sort of noise coming from the engine for about the first 8 seconds after startup when it's been sitting overnight. Otherwise, it makes no noise. When it does it, it seems like more of an intermittent sound, unlike a typical old chevy engine cold startup knock. My buddy has an 03 954RR that does the exact same thing. The other day I changed the oil and it did it waaay worse for about the first 5 startups. No idea why though. :idunno:

·
Registered
44 Posts
i just bought a 2003 954 and the bike makes the same noise when it is cold and evrery couple of minuites after but no noises when i give it throttle i only have 1200 miles i'm going to get it checked out and i'll let you know :confused:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
rogerjt said:
i just bought a 2003 954 and the bike makes the same noise when it is cold and evrery couple of minuites after but no noises when i give it throttle i only have 1200 miles i'm going to get it checked out and i'll let you know :confused:
try my long screwdriver tip, it worked for him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts