Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think I should rebuild this engine do to the cylinder wall scoring or would it be okay to run for this season and then rebuild next winter. I ask because my funds are low and it would take several more months to get the bike back on the road. The engine was ticking so the PO took the head off and found this scoring. He said the bike ran fine before he took the head off with no power loss, just ticking while idling in neutral. He also showed me videos of the ticking and him riding the bike to prove his point.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little more info, the engine turns over just fine with no issues and does so smoothly. The engine has a little over 10,000 miles and was a 1 owner bike before I purchased it. The bike as far as I know has not been raced and I will not be racing or running the bike too hard either. I will also be completely cleaning up the top of the block as well as the pistons as much as possible. The head has already been sent off for a complete cleaning and to have the valves polished and lapped in and reassembled.

If the masses feel that the engine should be rebuilt than I will do so it will just put me another month or two behind. I have plans to rebuild the engine but was hoping I can get by until next winter.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've seen worse.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Since you plan on rebuilding next winter run it. Worst case is it looses power or seizes up. I have seen worse that were still running. It shouldn't cause any further damage to keep running it. That scoring is very minor and not what was causing the ticking at idle.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you plan on rebuilding next winter run it. Worst case is it looses power or seizes up. I have seen worse that were still running. It shouldn't cause any further damage to keep running it. That scoring is very minor and not what was causing the ticking at idle.
Yeah I listened to the video the PO took and compared it too some other videos where the tensioner was at fault for the ticking and I think it is the tensioner. So when I put everything back together I am going to put a manual tensioner on it and hopefully have no ticking. I am also doing the pair mod. The htev has already been removed as well as the flapper and a servo buddy has been installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts