Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: hi guys . i have an fi light flashing 19 times on my dash which means the pules generater is the problem.
I have changed the pules generation with a second hand one but the light is still flashing, so now i dont know it the second hand one is faulty as well or do i have a different problem. also in the manual it show the pules generater rotor been changed as well, should i have changed it, is that my problem.
HAS ANYONE HAD THE SAME FI LIGHT FLASH 19 TIMES AND WHAT DID YOU DO. ALL HELP WELCOME PLEASE :thumb: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
:confused: hi guys . i have an fi light flashing 19 times on my dash which means the pules generater is the problem.
I have changed the pules generation with a second hand one but the light is still flashing, so now i dont know it the second hand one is faulty as well or do i have a different problem. also in the manual it show the pules generater rotor been changed as well, should i have changed it, is that my problem.
HAS ANYONE HAD THE SAME FI LIGHT FLASH 19 TIMES AND WHAT DID YOU DO. ALL HELP WELCOME PLEASE :thumb: :thumb:

Have you checked for power at the connector?
The problem might be in the wiring to the pulse gen.
I don't understand what you mean that "the rotor has been changed as well"?
If the rotor is not triggering the pulse generator that would cause the same problem but I can't imagine what could cause that.
The bike was running fine before this MIL started flashing?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked for power at the connector?
The problem might be in the wiring to the pulse gen.
I don't understand what you mean that "the rotor has been changed as well"?
If the rotor is not triggering the pulse generator that would cause the same problem but I can't imagine what could cause that.
The bike was running fine before this MIL started flashing?
:thumb: well on the manual it show the rotor been changed as well as the generater, so i just tough that because i still have the same problem with the FI light flashing that i should have changed the rotor as well. ya the bike was driving before this not great but driving , i had a different problem with it , i could get it to rev smothly , but i sorted that out. it was the flap in the air box that was nt opening. then as soon as i sorted that this happened. how do i check for power at the connector cause as i under stand it that just sends a slgnel to the cpu and that sends the volts to the coils

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
:thumb: well on the manual it show the rotor been changed as well as the generater, so i just tough that because i still have the same problem with the FI light flashing that i should have changed the rotor as well. ya the bike was driving before this not great but driving , i had a different problem with it , i could get it to rev smothly , but i sorted that out. it was the flap in the air box that was nt opening. then as soon as i sorted that this happened. how do i check for power at the connector cause as i under stand it that just sends a slgnel to the cpu and that sends the volts to the coils
Is there any damage to the rotor or pulse generator that might lead to them not being correctly aligned or too far apart? Has it been removed before perhaps?
You don't drive bikes, you ride them - same as horses and bicycles ;-)
I've never had to check a pulse generator so I don't know how it works but the "signal" is voltage so it should be measurable. At a guess I would think it's a live circuit that gets broken everytime the pulse is triggered, in which case the connector should be live all the time. If it's a dead circuit then it should have voltage only when the rotor triggers the pulse generator. Hopefully an electrical guru can correct me on that though :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are you doing, I am tearing my hair out with this problem and your correcting what words i use in a sentance,or trying to help me with my bike problem. I know you ride bikes like you do women but if I said{ the bike was riding before this but not riding great } i think that would sound stupid.but anyway back to the bike. there was no damage to the rotor or the generater.:confused:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
What are you doing, I am tearing my hair out with this problem and your correcting what words i use in a sentance,or trying to help me with my bike problem. I know you ride bikes like you do women but if I said{ the bike was riding before this but not riding great } i think that would sound stupid.but anyway back to the bike. there was no damage to the rotor or the generater.:confused:
And you're focussing on my correction of one word rather than responding to my suggestions?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
look i am a bit stress out with this, thanks for your respones and i did take not of what you suggestion and i did say that there was no damage to the rotor or the generater, iam just on my way outto the bike to check for a signal from the generater.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
look i am a bit stress out with this, thanks for your respones and i did take not of what you suggestion and i did say that there was no damage to the rotor or the generater, iam just on my way outto the bike to check for a signal from the generater.
No worries, electrical gremlins screw my head up as well :)
I would think the primary cause of a disruption of the signal would be likely to be a break in the wiring rather the actual pulse generator so I'd first be confirming that's intact.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No worries, electrical gremlins screw my head up as well :)
I would think the primary cause of a disruption of the signal would be likely to be a break in the wiring rather the actual pulse generator so I'd first be confirming that's intact.
:( just finished checking the bike,the pules generater looks ok acording to the manual. I have a sginal from it and again at the ECM conector, the manual says i should have continuity in the pulse wire and ground and if not replace the ECM unit. guest what , i have none. so it looks like i need a new ECM unit. I have a honda HISS security system on my bike which means the keyis chiped and programed to my ECM unit, so i need a complete ignition system second hand. what a ****:thumbd:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
:( just finished checking the bike,the pules generater looks ok acording to the manual. I have a sginal from it and again at the ECM conector, the manual says i should have continuity in the pulse wire and ground and if not replace the ECM unit. guest what , i have none. so it looks like i need a new ECM unit. I have a honda HISS security system on my bike which means the keyis chiped and programed to my ECM unit, so i need a complete ignition system second hand. what a ****:thumbd:
That sucks.
Is it supposed to have continuity all the time or only after the HISS is switched off?
Just wondering if it might be the HISS cutting the signal to the pulse generator.
Call a dealer and find out if anybody local has the ECU test box before spending the money on a replacement.
If it is the problem, you'll need a replacement ECU with it's matching key(s). You can have your ignition switch cut to fit the new key. Or do what I do and cable tie the chipped key to the HISS sensor and hide it under the tank and you can keep using your old key to operate the bike.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sucks.
Is it supposed to have continuity all the time or only after the HISS is switched off?
Just wondering if it might be the HISS cutting the signal to the pulse generator.
Call a dealer and find out if anybody local has the ECU test box before spending the money on a replacement.
If it is the problem, you'll need a replacement ECU with it's matching key(s). You can have your ignition switch cut to fit the new key. Or do what I do and cable tie the chipped key to the HISS sensor and hide it under the tank and you can keep using your old key to operate the bike.
:confused: just been talk to a motor bike electronic mech over the phone who i was going to buy a rebuilt ecm from and he told me that it does nt sound like my ecm, he asked me if the pump runs for a few second after i switch it on and it does so he said it a wiring problem. so he would be losing out by tellling me that so i am inclined to belive him . he said that there is a safty system there that when there is a problem the ecm stop sending the signal until the problem is fix, that is to protect the bike from more damage. So were do i go from there. the MIL light is still flashing 19 times. any one please:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
:confused: just been talk to a motor bike electronic mech over the phone who i was going to buy a rebuilt ecm from and he told me that it does nt sound like my ecm, he asked me if the pump runs for a few second after i switch it on and it does so he said it a wiring problem. so he would be losing out by tellling me that so i am inclined to belive him . he said that there is a safty system there that when there is a problem the ecm stop sending the signal until the problem is fix, that is to protect the bike from more damage. So were do i go from there. the MIL light is still flashing 19 times. any one please:confused: :confused:
Yes, error 19 will prevent you from starting the bike since the pulse generator provides the signal that fires the coils.
Did he explain why you got the bad reading at the ECU then?
"the manual says i should have continuity in the pulse wire and ground and if not replace the ECM unit."
Try running two new wires directly from the wires in the back of the ECU connectors straight to the pulse generator to rule out the wiring and connectors. The tests you already did though should've ruled the wiring out I reckon.
You said you "sorted" the flapper before this started. Are all the sensors around the airbox hooked up?
Are you certain you're getting code 19?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, error 19 will prevent you from starting the bike since the pulse generator provides the signal that fires the coils.
Did he explain why you got the bad reading at the ECU then?
"the manual says i should have continuity in the pulse wire and ground and if not replace the ECM unit."
Try running two new wires directly from the wires in the back of the ECU connectors straight to the pulse generator to rule out the wiring and connectors. The tests you already did though should've ruled the wiring out I reckon.
You said you "sorted" the flapper before this started. Are all the sensors around the airbox hooked up?
Are you certain you're getting code 19?
:confused: hI again Larry.
thats just what i was thinking . I going to undo all the things i did to fix the flap problem and see what happens. the bike only got the problem after that so may i did something i shouldnt have, fingers crossed, do you know do i have to reset that FI light or will it just stop flashing when the problem is fixed.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
:confused: hI again Larry.
thats just what i was thinking . I going to undo all the things i did to fix the flap problem and see what happens. the bike only got the problem after that so may i did something i shouldnt have, fingers crossed, do you know do i have to reset that FI light or will it just stop flashing when the problem is fixed.
It should stop as soon as you fix the problem.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:confused: :confused:
ok thanks , :)
:confused: :confused: I have my bike with a mech now cause i was about to go mad trying to problem solve it, I just hoping he might see or find something i missed. still flashing 19 times. HELP PLEASE SOME ONE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts