Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To save me the trouble of winding the fork preload from one extreme to another: does anybody know how many turns it is from full soft to full hard. The manual says the standard preload is 7 turns from full soft (for those who don't know, 954 forks don't give any external indication of what the preload is set to).

Another question is: what fork preload should be dialed up for aggressive riding on curvy, bumpy roads as opposed to on a smooth racetrack? (solo rider 80kg/176lb)

·
Registered
998 Posts
From memory I think its about 14 turns (+/- 1?) you should adjust it so that you have about 30-38mm of sag with you sitting in the riding position with all your gear on. Closer to 30mm for the race track and and more towards 35 for the road although your riding style and individual preference also factor in. Also make sure the rear is set properly 28-35mm, again the smaller number for the track. If you add a reasonalble amount of preload you may then need to add some more rebound damping!

Ps. at 80kg the standard 954 front springs are too soft for all but touring! I would recomend 0.90kg/mm or 0.95kg/mm for your weight!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ps. at 80kg the standard 954 front springs are too soft for all but touring! I would recomend 0.90kg/mm or 0.95kg/mm for your weight!
Are you saying I'm fat? :hmm: ;)

Thanks for the advice. As it happens, my wife will be riding this bike when we go riding together and as she weighs less than me (I'm not saying how much exactly as she may 'spy on me' and read this) I'll probably set it up a bit soft anyway.

Is the sag you recommend over and above the static sag of the bike's own weight? Or do I have to lift the bike up to measure from the fully extended fork position? (that would prove a little problematic me thinks).

·
Registered
661 Posts
ndj said:
To save me the trouble of winding the fork preload from one extreme to another: does anybody know how many turns it is from full soft to full hard. The manual says the standard preload is 7 turns from full soft (for those who don't know, 954 forks don't give any external indication of what the preload is set to).

Another question is: what fork preload should be dialed up for aggressive riding on curvy, bumpy roads as opposed to on a smooth racetrack? (solo rider 80kg/176lb)
With your weight (or any weight really) you'll never get close to the correct sag with stock springs...sorry but the stock stuff is some of the worse suspension out there.....way too undersprung...junk! Send'em to DK for work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts