Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there

My friend has a 2006 1000RR and his brakes are much sharper ( lever takes higher) than mine, why does the 954 brake lever take further than his, no air in my system, replaced master cylinder kit, thought it was my calipers, got a set from the uk off a low mileage bike exact same scenario, probability of both bikes (mine + uk one) seal kits needing replacing in the calipers most unlikely.

I have heard the brakes on the 954 take low down true???
Don't get me wrong the brakes are strong they just take low down on the lever.

H

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey there

My friend has a 2006 1000RR and his brakes are much sharper ( lever takes higher) than mine, why does the 954 brake lever take further than his, no air in my system, replaced master cylinder kit, thought it was my calipers, got a set from the uk off a low mileage bike exact same scenario, probability of both bikes (mine + uk one) seal kits needing replacing in the calipers most unlikely.

I have heard the brakes on the 954 take low down true???
Don't get me wrong the brakes are strong they just take low down on the lever.

H
I don't understand what you mean about them taking lower?

·
Registered
824 Posts
it does everything for lever travel...thats what its there for...to adjust the lever travel....its not going to change the point at which it starts braking....if thats what you mean...

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
it does everything for lever travel...thats what its there for...to adjust the lever travel....its not going to change the point at which it starts braking....if thats what you mean...
It's a span adjuster.
It alters the _position_ of the lever, not the amount of lever travel.

·
Registered
824 Posts
u like fighting with me dont you :) what happened with our weight /speed discussion? you go put your brake lever on the lowest setting and try touching the bar with the lever...its easy...then go put it on the highest setting and try touching the bar...it will never happen....that proves it adjusts the amount of lever travel!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
u like fighting with me dont you :) what happened with our weight /speed discussion? you go put your brake lever on the lowest setting and try touching the bar with the lever...its easy...then go put it on the highest setting and try touching the bar...it will never happen....that proves it adjusts the amount of lever travel!!!!!!!!
The discussion wasn't worth continuing with unless you were willing to do some research.

What you're describing above is _span_ adjustment, not lever travel.
Lever _travel_ is the distance the lever moves from rest to fully in.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
you will have more travel with a higher setting because you have more room to work with
Room to work with?
The only way the travel will change is if the lever is coming right in and stopping against your knuckles or grip.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
you go put your brake lever on the lowest setting and try touching the bar with the lever...its easy...then go put it on the highest setting and try touching the bar
:huh: are you being serious? Guy, once the lever is set at '6' or whatever the highest setting is, the initial distance from the bar is greater, thats why you cant touch the bar, not because theres less travel.

The change in distance is the same regardless of where the lever is set at.

Things that will affect the pull distance are components; lines and cylinder.

·
Registered
824 Posts
its still changing the amount of travel no matter how you look at it...regardless if it is less because of an obstruction or not...yes i am serious....is it hard to believe...i know what you guys mean but regardless of how you look at the situation it is STILL changing the amount of space the lever travels...

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
its still changing the amount of travel no matter how you look at it...regardless if it is less because of an obstruction or not...yes i am serious....is it hard to believe...i know what you guys mean but regardless of how you look at the situation it is STILL changing the amount of space the lever travels...
By how much?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I think you guys are both right. Changing the lever adjustment can move it further from the bar so it has more possible distance to travel.

However, the distance the lever moves to apply the brakes does not change, it's just moved further out. If it moves 2" to apply the brakes, that will always remain the same. Just that 2" of travel is moved closer or further from the bar or grip.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I think you guys are both right. Changing the lever adjustment can move it further from the bar so it has more possible distance to travel.

However, the distance the lever moves to apply the brakes does not change, it's just moved further out. If it moves 2" to apply the brakes, that will always remain the same. Just that 2" of travel is moved closer or further from the bar or grip.
Exactly, that is span adjustment. The span or distance between the lever and the bar.
I brake with two fingers so I have to set it further out than somebody that brakes with four otherwise the lever crushes my fingers against the grip.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, didn't mean to cause friction(no pun intended),I do have braided hoses I take it these are the thin SS lines, and what I meant was the distance the brake lever travels before the brakes actually work,please excuse my bad method of describing the problem originally.

My setting is on #1 on the brake lever.

I have ordered a complete set of seal kits for both calipers and a new master cylinder kit.

Just wonder if anyone has the same issue on there 954 or heard of it before.

H

1 - 20 of 32 Posts