Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the chances that a full system designed for a current production bike (say the 1kRR) would be able to be fit onto my 954? I have been looking for headers and a mid-pipe to go with my can, but so far I have found nothing, not even on fleabay... How hard would it be to bolt-up a 1krr system? I wouldn't be opposed to taking it to a shop to be fit if it didn't cost a fortune, but is it even remotely possible that this is do-able?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
What are the chances that a full system designed for a current production bike (say the 1kRR) would be able to be fit onto my 954? I have been looking for headers and a mid-pipe to go with my can, but so far I have found nothing, not even on fleabay... How hard would it be to bolt-up a 1krr system? I wouldn't be opposed to taking it to a shop to be fit if it didn't cost a fortune, but is it even remotely possible that this is do-able?

There'd be a slight possibilty for some of the more "generic" engine designs, but the 929/954 has the funny sump design due to the HTEV.
But, if you're wanting to replace the exhaust system for performance reasons, you would want a system designed to breathe on that specific engine design. I'd expect the OEM system to breathe better than even a top-tier aftermarket system designed for a different engine.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ and that's why we love that feller!! Cheers Blade, always learning something new from ya!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just call Hindle and buy a new full system for your bike my friend. no worries then!!! i got mine for less than 1k with a carbon fiber evo can. its super awesome!! i was calling everyone and everywhere looking for a full exhaust. some sites list them but when you call they are gone (never update their site!! ugh....) trust me... just call hindle and tell them what you need and they will run down the prices on the different cans. you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'd love to see HP/torque curves of the same 954 with a stock header and a decent mid pipe/slip on against a decent full system, both with PCIII's and dyno tuned. I wonder if the difference is significant, you know enough to really feel in the seat of your pants, or is it in your head.:idunno:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I'd love to see HP/torque curves of the same 954 with a stock header and a decent mid pipe/slip on against a decent full system, both with PCIII's and dyno tuned. I wonder if the difference is significant, you know enough to really feel in the seat of your pants, or is it in your head.:idunno:

I don't have dyno runs but I was originally running a LeoVince half-system on my 929 before I swapped it for the full Akrapovic system - the difference is night and day.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I don't have dyno runs but I was originally running a LeoVince half-system on my 929 before I swapped it for the full Akrapovic system - the difference is night and day.
Mid range, top end, or both? Guess that's why the Akra's command such a high price.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Mid range, top end, or both? Guess that's why the Akra's command such a high price.

Top end is red hot with the Akra, midrange was stronger with the LV. The bike would pull from around 7000RPM with the LV, with the Akra I need to keep her above 8000RPM in the turns.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Top end is red hot with the Akra, midrange was stronger with the LV. The bike would pull from around 7000RPM with the LV, with the Akra I need to keep her above 8000RPM in the turns.
Sounds like with the newer 1K exhausts there is less difference. The dyno runs with stock vs. Akra are equally linear, with the Akra being less than 5hp stronger. A lot of money for a few ponies.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i can tell you on my 929 it HAD a 2brothers bolt on. I installed a PCII and a full Hindle. worlds of difference everywhere. super street bike did a few articles on freshening up a 954. you should read what they did and the results they got. thats why i went with my setup. plus.... it was impossible to find most any other full exhaust. not to mention for less than 1k. im pleased.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Sounds like with the newer 1K exhausts there is less difference. The dyno runs with stock vs. Akra are equally linear, with the Akra being less than 5hp stronger. A lot of money for a few ponies.

Yes, a proper sportsbike isn't going to make as much improvement from a race exhaust system as the engine is already tuned in an attempt to make maximum output already. The 929/954 are under-tuned for more usable road power in comparison, their hp-per-litre is well down on the racebikes so there is room to make some good gains fairly cheaply.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have the older Akras system then Bladeracer which is for the 929 on my 954 and under 4k it feels it's lost little but above it difference was really noticible. I previosly had shortened Devil highpipe slip-on dyno tuned. Whit the Akra i used map from dynojets site so it coud have been even better properly tuned.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've tried a couple different downloadable maps so far. I noticed that running just a bolt-on with the full two bros map actually made a little difference in power and in pitch. It has more of a deep throaty rumble and a bit more pick up with the "full-exhaust" map loaded. I played with a few of the values at different rpms, which actually further smoothed out the power band. I am planning on running the auto-tune, but am waiting to get my full exhaust first. Hopefully Hindle will still have a few full systems available in mid-October when I get my next chunk of money.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, I did get my block-off plates from Driven in the mail today, but I put $5 in petrol in the bike while out playing earlier. I wanted to get started pulling everything apart and get the plates on, but it took me a good while to burn off that petrol and it got dark fast from there. Once she cools down I may pull her in the living room and start tearing stuff down, plenty of light indoors =P

1 - 17 of 17 Posts