Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
donniedarko said:
hrcusa.com
They don't have stuff for the 954. At least not listed on thier upgrades page.

I would go to superbikeplanet.com, go to the classifieds sections. Look under race bikes, they usually have a former ama bike or two. They don't have any 954s right now, but they did a while ago, they usually have lots of spare parts to go along with the bike. You might be able to get the seller to part with some parts. I don't think you'll find any new HRC equipment for the 954. Might get lucky though.

What are you looking for anyways? Track bike or street bike?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I got an new HRC kit radiator for my 954 from Erion for $500. I just called and asked if they had anything left from last season. The only thing I haven't found yet is an HRC ECU.

·
Registered
39 Posts
a guy was selling an hrc ecu (which incorporates the race wiring harness) in fortnight old edition of one of our mags, wanted 1500 aus dollars if i remember correctly, can check if its still available and get his details.pretty sure it was a dealer selling its race parts for 954's.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As donniedarko said, hrcusa.com. They are Thousand Oaks Honda/Suzuki and are just about 3 miles up the road from where I live. Phone number is: (805) 371-3000. I've found that it's best if you already have the part number of the item you need.

I have bought the HRC brake pads from them in the past. They give you a discount if you have the part number and don't make them look it up. I guess it's a real pain for them. :idunno:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
As donniedarko said, hrcusa.com. They are Thousand Oaks Honda/Suzuki and are just about 3 miles up the road from where I live. Phone number is: (805) 371-3000. I've found that it's best if you already have the part number of the item you need.

I have bought the HRC brake pads from them in the past. They give you a discount if you have the part number and don't make them look it up. I guess it's a real pain for them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then would anyone happen to know the HRC radiator part number for the 954?????

Dano

·
Registered
476 Posts
ReaperAZ said:

I have bought the HRC brake pads from them in the past. They give you a discount if you have the part number and don't make them look it up. I guess it's a real pain for them.

Dano
I believe its 06190_NL8_701 It's called the Sub Radiator Cooling kit

look here for available parts:
http://www.euro-hobby.com/sp125/

·
Registered
280 Posts
slowpoke said:
Warning: threadjack in progress! Canyoncarver, how do you like your new 10r?
A little over 800 miles on it, and I'm very happy. The transmission is the smoothest shifting I've ever ridden. I'm glad Big K fixed the problems they had with the pre-production bikes.

Power is explosive, but manageable if you have a smooth right wrist action. Gearing is way tall. Magazines reporting 104mph in 1st gear at redline. I haven't been there, yet, as I'm still waiting for a steering damper from Ohlins. I want to raise the rear, as the front seems to be pushing a bit out of turns, but I won't until I get the Ohlins shock and damper on.

The reports of headshake issues are true, but inflated, IMO. The ZX is MUCH more stable at speed than my 954 ever was. Rock solid if you sneak up on the speed. It will shake if you're hard on the gas and hit a road imperfection, but what literbike won't w/o a damper?

Back to the gearing, I've already got a +2 rear sprocket coming from Kyle, and a DID ERV2 chain, so that I can move the rear axle back a little. It is all the way forward as delivered from the factory. This has been a problem with the rear hugger, since I fitted my usual D208GP tires, as the tire rubs the inside of the hugger and is burning through. Time for a CF hugger!

BTW, Kyle said that the Big K race teams have been having trouble with running 520 gear/chain setup, as the power is shredding the gears. He suggested that I stay with the stock 525 setup, as a result.

Handling is impressive. It transitions from left to right to left faster than the 954. So much so, that the first day out I almost ran off the INSIDE of a couple turns before I adjusted to the quicker transitions. I believe this is due to the light weight.

Ergos are surprisingly similar to the 954, but with a much more comfortable seat. The 954 seat, although hard as a brick, never bothered me much, as I mostly ride canyons/tracks and don't do much freeway/city cruising. It only bothered me on the way to/from the canyons while on the freeway. The Kwack doesn't bother at all, anywhere.

All in all, I'm very pleased. With some Ohlins suspension, Sato rearsets & pipe, PCIII (already installed) on order from Kyle, I think I'll be ecstatic! :thumb:

P.S. Thanks for asking, slowpoke. Hopefully, you guys will still tolerate my presence like you have with Chain, even after I sell the 954. I still think this is the best run, best organized board out there, with lots of good, smart people that frequent it. OK. Thread jack and butt-smooching session over. :D

·
Registered
705 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the info. I was at the dealers the other day where I bought my 954 and they had a green 10r sitting there. Naturally, I had to sit on it and check everything out (while making vroom-vroom noises in my head!) and it is one sweeet looking bike. Luckily they didn't have a black or blue one, or I might be riding one now.....MUST RESIST......have tooo much $$$$ in 954....NOOOOO!!!!
P.S. Hell yeah, stick around, you're not nearly as annoying as Hemingway :D :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
slowpoke said:
P.S. Hell yeah, stick around, you're not nearly as annoying as Hemingway :D :D
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thanks, slowpoke. :D

Yep, I couldn't resist the black one, myself. I've been waiting for a long time for a Japanese mfg to produce an all black liter-bike. I just could never bring myself to throw down for a black Ducati. Too expensive to buy, and too expensive to fix/maintain. I've already removed all the stickers, except for the Kawasaki logos on the tank, which are clearcoated.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Did they give you a good deal? I'm really tempted to see what my dealer will let one go for, they've been really good to me in the past. Oh crap, just look what you've started.... I really don't feel like taking the shock, pipe, PC3, etc., off my bike and hassle with selling everything.....or do I..... what do you think of the 10R's brakes? How does it sound with the stock pipe? I remember my old 9R had a nasty sound above 8k with the ram air and pipe growling.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
ReaperAZ said:

Dano
Thats a fat avitar man. love that movie
Sorry - just reading - no hijacking

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry guys/gals... Threadjack still in progress, I guess. :rolleyes:

slowpoke said:
Did they give you a good deal? I'm really tempted to see what my dealer will let one go for, they've been really good to me in the past.
I wouldn't call it a great deal, maybe a good deal. It's the price you pay for getting the first one in town, I guess. I'm satisfied with it. I just pulled my paperwork to see the breakdown: $10,506 + $265 freight/Prep + $784 Sales Tax + $45 Doc + $116 Registration = $11,716 OTD.

slowpoke said:
Oh crap, just look what you've started.... I really don't feel like taking the shock, pipe, PC3, etc., off my bike and hassle with selling everything.....or do I.....
I know what you mean. I've been spending time parting out all my Ohlins suspension, myself. Wrenchin' and sellin'. Now I have to get about selling the bike, itself. :crap:

slowpoke said:
what do you think of the 10R's brakes? How does it sound with the stock pipe? I remember my old 9R had a nasty sound above 8k with the ram air and pipe growling.....
The brakes are OK. Not as much to my liking as the 954, but I like a lot of initial bite and have been running the HRC pads on the Honda. By comparison, the ZX felt very wooden at first, but have improved a lot with some miles on them. Good progressive feel, plenty of stopping power, but still not enough initial bite for my taste. I'll be swapping in some Galfer or SBS pads soon, to try and improve the bite.

The stock pipe looks and sounds terrific. Factory oval can is nice, but it runs very hot with the catalytic converter built in. It ticks very loudly after you shut down the bike, from the metal cooling. The intake makes a cool sound when run hard and the pipe (from what my riding buddies tell me) sounds very cool when revving.

My favorite feature that I forgot to mention B4 is the slipper clutch. WAY COOL! The clutch lever actually pulses a bit (kinda like an ABS brake pedal, when engaged) when its slipping. It's good to be able to get all your downshifting done early before corner entry without having to feather the clutch out too much or worry about locking the rear tire. Fun, fun, fun. :evilaugh:

·
Registered
705 Posts
OK, last threadjacking ?, I promise :smilebig: Can the suspension be set up for a 200 lb rider without getting new springs and do you think the stock stuff is good enough for an occasional track day? One last thing.....I really, really hate you... :smilebig: :smilebig: :smilebig: I'm gonna have to go for a test ride..... :eyebrows:

·
Registered
280 Posts
slowpoke said:
OK, last threadjacking ?, I promise :smilebig:
OK. If not, we may have to continue this in the Off Topic forum, before I get :banned: for owning a Kawasaki. :D

slowpoke said:
Can the suspension be set up for a 200 lb rider without getting new springs and do you think the stock stuff is good enough for an occasional track day?
Hmmm.... I guess, and yes. I weigh around 190 - 195lbs (depending on cookie intake). :rolleyes: My experience, so far, is that the rear spring is typical, in that it is sprung for safe two-up riding. If I go for proper sag, the bike doesn't want to turn-in. If I set the preload so that it will turn, the rear is stiff and wants to kick. Compression on the rear needs to be fully backed out to make the rear work. SportRider mag found the same thing, evidently, as their recommended settings include rear compression fully out. I have an Ohlins on the way from Mr. Kyle.

The front end seems to be a bit better for me, although I'm personally not thrilled, having been spoiled rotten the last two years with my Ohlins R/T forks on the 954. It works, but even Dan Kyle said that after riding the Ohlins forks, I probably wouldn't even be satisfied with the stock forks after he works them over. Basically, he said that he can make a major improvement over stock, but ultimately he is working with an inferior platform and can only do so much. I'm trying to avoid spending the coin on another set of Ohlins forks, but he is so cool and so honest, that I feel I may have to throw-down once again. Kinda like flying 1st class -- moo-moo class just doesn't cut it after you've been to 1st. :idunno:

slowpoke said:
One last thing.....I really, really hate you... :smilebig: :smilebig: :smilebig: I'm gonna have to go for a test ride..... :eyebrows:
:rotfl: :rotfl: Don't be a hater. :nono: Come on, you know you want to. :evilaugh: If it wasn't me, you would find another rationalization for checking it out, somehow. I tried to avoid the temptation, as I love my 954. The thought of selling it makes me sad, and removing/selling all the Ohlins gear has been traumatic. But, I'm glad it's all going to good loving homes; I made sure! You should see the forks and shock show up soon, as I sold them to cool board members in good standing. :thumb:

·
Registered
469 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
OK. If not, we may have to continue this in the Off Topic forum, before I get :banned: for owning a Kawasaki. :D

Hmmm.... I guess, and yes. I weigh around 190 - 195lbs (depending on cookie intake). :rolleyes: My experience, so far, is that the rear spring is typical, in that it is sprung for safe two-up riding. If I go for proper sag, the bike doesn't want to turn-in. If I set the preload so that it will turn, the rear is stiff and wants to kick. Compression on the rear needs to be fully backed out to make the rear work. SportRider mag found the same thing, evidently, as their recommended settings include rear compression fully out. I have an Ohlins on the way from Mr. Kyle.

The front end seems to be a bit better for me, although I'm personally not thrilled, having been spoiled rotten the last two years with my Ohlins R/T forks on the 954. It works, but even Dan Kyle said that after riding the Ohlins forks, I probably wouldn't even be satisfied with the stock forks after he works them over. Basically, he said that he can make a major improvement over stock, but ultimately he is working with an inferior platform and can only do so much. I'm trying to avoid spending the coin on another set of Ohlins forks, but he is so cool and so honest, that I feel I may have to throw-down once again. Kinda like flying 1st class -- moo-moo class just doesn't cut it after you've been to 1st. :idunno:

:rotfl: :rotfl: Don't be a hater. :nono: Come on, you know you want to. :evilaugh: If it wasn't me, you would find another rationalization for checking it out, somehow. I tried to avoid the temptation, as I love my 954. The thought of selling it makes me sad, and removing/selling all the Ohlins gear has been traumatic. But, I'm glad it's all going to good loving homes; I made sure! You should see the forks and shock show up soon, as I sold them to cool board members in good standing. :thumb:

All this positive rap for the ZX10R is making me itchy. Still, I've got to wait about 8 months or so when I'll have some money and put the cash down on a 2005 model me thinks. Atleast that way I'll get all the small updated n stuff bundled into one package. Mmmmmm ....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts