Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this isn't a good question to ask but I have lost my key (only key, bought bike used) this past week. If someone could tell me how to get my ignition off so I can order a new set I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 954 Ignition question

Thats a long push. No trailer, no hitch, and I would rather not rent...

Dealer said to take off the ignition to get the keycode...thats what I need to know how to get.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts

ConqSoft said:
Take it to the dealer and have them get you a couple of new keys.

Fixed your post..

And the keycode should be available to the dealer through the VIN if you can prove ownership, no?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yes, of course I did. And the individual I talked to didn't know on "that bike".

If possible I could use some constructive answers. I see where it bolts to the frame, but does it take a special tool or need to be drilled or something else?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts

OK so you have no friends with pickups :hmm: There are ways to get it to a dealer IF you are legit. Including a rental or paying a small fee. For instance put a call out for assistance to folks on this site for people near you, be prepared to prove you own the bike though (hope you inderstand that no one here wants to help a thief and just wants to be sure). Trade a favor or small fee :idunno:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

sheepofblue said:
OK so you have no friends with pickups :hmm: There are ways to get it to a dealer IF you are legit. Including a rental or paying a small fee. For instance put a call out for assistance to folks on this site for people near you, be prepared to prove you own the bike though (hope you inderstand that no one here wants to help a thief and just wants to be sure). Trade a favor or small fee :idunno:
Yes, I don't personally know a single human being that owns a pickup, trailer, and/or hitch. There is no doubt I can get the bike to the dealer if I pay a few bucks and take some time off work. Oh don't let me forget to buy tie-downs!

I am an impatient person and would really like to get these ordered today because I'm already pissed at myself that I wasn't able to ride all weekend and it seems it will be a couple weeks if I have to take it to the dealer. If it has to be done then so be it, and based on what I have seen I don't want to take the steps to attempt it myself.

Oh well...the few(criminals) making it hard on the many...

·
Registered
12,773 Posts

go to Uhaul and rent a pick up truck for $20.

the dealer tells me they can't make a new key with just the VIN number. you need either the key code tag that came with the bike, take the ignition out and get it off there or actually have a key to copy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

FYI - Honda (not a dealer, but actually Honda) says there is no key code on the 954.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

midnitxx said:
FYI - Honda (not a dealer, but actually Honda) says there is no key code on the 954.
But it turns out they were wrong. A locksmith spent the better part of 3hrs keying the bike. He was unable to make a single key that worked, I now have a key for the ignition and one for the trunk/gas. He gave me the keycode (which turns out I had already) but as I said it doesnt work in all the locks. BUT the keycode matches the one on the ignition. I even went to the dealer with the keycode and they key the cut didn't work in ANY locks all though it looked almost identical to one the locksmith made - I think they just did a poor job.

Anyway, anyone have a similiar experience? I have 3 keycodes, one from the bike, one from the tag on the original key (from dealer), and one from the locksmith. They are different codes but produce the same key...and that key is not working in the ignition, but the keycode from the locksmith does fit the ignition!

Keys sucks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a sad, sad day. I just found my key! Which also led to the simple discovery that both the locksmith and the dealer used the same key blank, but the blank was wrong.

Don't use a HD109 blank on a 954. If you do be sure they cut off 1/4 inch of the shoulder.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Why sad? Sure you are down a few bucks but you don't have the PITA of carrying multiple keys for your bike.
Or have you had the ignition lock modified? :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RPinOZ said:
Why sad? Sure you are down a few bucks but you don't have the PITA of carrying multiple keys for your bike.
Or have you had the ignition lock modified? :(
No, I didn't have anything modified. And yes, I am back to one key. Its just sad spending the money and time and headache just to find the darn key a few hours later :) And I had been looking for the key for a week :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well just be thankful you aren't in Oz or Europe where we have HISS. If you lose your key and code you have to replace the ECU.
Now that is serious dollars :sless:

·
Registered
7 Posts
my mate just lost his master key for his '04 ZX-10R after losing his other two normal keys (by the way hes an idiot) and the his dealer said he needs to order a new ignition, ecu etc he was quoted $1800.......shit hey

·
Registered
902 Posts
You'll love this (retail prices: )
35010-MEL-670 LOCK SET (all locks and keys) $227.33
38770-MEL-671 PGM-FI UNIT $749.73

Or a GOOD locksmith:
$100 and $1 per extra key.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Speaking of key's.

I purchased my 954 August of 04 and I am the proud 2nd owner , when I purchased the bike it had a little over 3k miles. But, the key wont allow me to lock the steering from turning. :idunno:

Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts