Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang, just sold my VFR and have decided to get a 2002 954 unless a r1 or gixxer comes up with a price I can't refuse. Having said that the seating position of the 954 is supposed to be the most comfortable of the 3.
Let me expand the list to included the Honda Blackbird.:huh:

Anyways as it stands now its the 954:thumb:. I would like to know if there are any known issues regarding the bike, for example week rec/regulators like on the early viffers. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am new to them myself, so I am by no means an expert, but from the research that I did the only issue that I could find was the suspension settings. You will need to get them set for your weight.

GJ

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Hello gang, just sold my VFR and have decided to get a 2002 954 unless a r1 or gixxer comes up with a price I can't refuse. Having said that the seating position of the 954 is supposed to be the most comfortable of the 3.
Let me expand the list to included the Honda Blackbird.:huh:

Anyways as it stands now its the 954:thumb:. I would like to know if there are any known issues regarding the bike, for example week rec/regulators like on the early viffers. Any input would be appreciated.

Nope. Best bike ever. Go buy one now.:thumb:

Then get some front springs and a damper. Things you'll want to do after learning to travel Mach 5 two inches from the ground in the corners.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I have been riding Hondas for 23 years and well over 150,000 miles. The worst thing ever to break was a clutch cable. Honda is primarily a small engine manufacturer and they try to stick with waht they know, which they do very, very well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have been riding Hondas for 23 years and well over 150,000 miles. The worst thing ever to break was a clutch cable. Honda is primarily a small engine manufacturer and they try to stick with waht they know, which they do very, very well.
You're too right about the clutch cable... Still waiting for mine to come in. I ride a 929, and the dealer got me the 954 parts.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just remember, buy the service manual.

When buying used, change the fuilds and be sure to give the bike a good once over.

The oil pan hold a hair under 4 quarts of oil and you can find the oil filters at NAPA.

:flame:

(oil retardent flame suit ready)

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Just remember, buy the service manual.

When buying used, change the fuilds and be sure to give the bike a good once over.

The oil pan hold a hair under 4 quarts of oil and you can find the oil filters at NAPA.

:flame:

(oil retardent flame suit ready)
they sell genuine Honda motorcycle filters at Napa?

·
Registered
347 Posts
buy the 954, i ride it every day on my work commute and is pretty much maintenence free other than the typical (oil, etc.), except for mods which i can't seem to stop doing.

couldn't agree more with changing all the fluids, which will put you on a maintenence schedule, and you know what it done. i changed everything including the brake fluid and pads, and even did the chain and sprockets so i knew what i had.

needless to say i am a bit more anal than the rest...:idunno:

·
Registered
511 Posts
The steering stem bearings had a recall on the 2002's, check if yours was done. Also, get a steering damper as this bike needs one, other than that they are a little under-powered compared the other "litre" bikes but they are definitely fun. i would also recommend getting the front forks resprung & revalved as the springs are way too soft at .70 kg. and the stiction on mine was close to 14mm :eek: I have a full erion exhaust (erion map), PCIIIr, flapper pinned, and it only dynoed at 138 rwhp, now albeit with some custom mapping and other fine tunings i should be closer to 145hp.

If you are willing to dump some money $$$ into upgrades you can make it track competitive so long as the other guy isnt doing the same thing to theirs, plus the new technology on the current models really puts this bike at a disadvantage when it comes to overall geometry, mass centalization, etc. :crap:

will definitely need:

* steering damper
* new suspension
* 520 conversion plus -1/+2
* full exhaust w/ PCIII & good map
* Forged Alum or Mag rims to reduce rotating mass
:eyebrows:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Do you have a cross refference to a Fram part# that will fit?

Don't even think about using a Fram filter on your bike. The only non-oem filters that have proven to work well (and be short enough to fit if you have an aftermarket exhaust system) are the Purolator and Wix cross referenced models. The 929/954/1000rr require high pressure filters (even the standard Honda spin-on that is used on the pre '2K 900s and 600s aren't correct).

Fram filters have been known to blow off even when safety wired.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Steering bearing recall, as already mentioned.

FI light may come on around 10K. If so, the throttle bodies will need adjustment.

Transmission will need a rebuild around 30-40K miles or sooner depending on if you shift hard. It will start poping out of second gear under hard acceleration.

Prone to tank slappers. Make sure the front wheel is straight when you set it down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't even think about using a Fram filter on your bike. The only non-oem filters that have proven to work well (and be short enough to fit if you have an aftermarket exhaust system) are the Purolator and Wix cross referenced models. The 929/954/1000rr require high pressure filters (even the standard Honda spin-on that is used on the pre '2K 900s and 600s aren't correct).

Fram filters have been known to blow off even when safety wired.

Thank you for saying that. Many people consider Fram junk for their cars, let alone a motorcycle capable of 12,000 rpm. And no, it doesn't matter how often you change your oil - if it let's [email protected] through the filter, it doesn't matter if it's new or old.

Either Honda OEM (which tests VERY well), or the Purolator Pure One (their premium brand). I believe it is PL14612. That's the part number for my XX, and I believe the XX and the 954 share the same filter size.

·
Registered
511 Posts
YES!! I almost forgot, you may want to switch to a semi-synth oil to keep shifts smooth.. i had to replace my tranny at 15K, started getting false nuetrals and then lost 2nd completely. I ride extremely hard though..

Steering bearing recall, as already mentioned.

FI light may come on around 10K. If so, the throttle bodies will need adjustment.

Transmission will need a rebuild around 30-40K miles or sooner depending on if you shift hard. It will start poping out of second gear under hard acceleration.

Prone to tank slappers. Make sure the front wheel is straight when you set it down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Made the plunge, the bike handles nice, and yes the springs are soft. The power is okay but I knew what I was getting into.
The heat emitting from the bike is higher than I thought It would be, other than that I think it is money well spent. Motorcycles are a compromise and I made the right choice, for now.
The bike has a yosh can and a ohlins damper. I will check out the steering bearings, Cheers

1 - 20 of 30 Posts