Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last I have got round to fitting a brand new genuine Honda air filter to my 954 . The tick over is so much and revs smoother , I’m sure it’s made a difference , the old one has done some miles by the looks of it
  1. 106658

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Wow! That'd be like having a heart transplant!

You'll probably hear a lot more induction roar too!;) (And get better fuel economy - as if we care about that:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news , it’s dry out , so grabbed a quick 80 mile ride , it’s very cold and tad windy , but yes I can now hear the induction roar , the MT throttle helps with wrist twist , next up is gearing , I ain’t got nowhere around here that requires the long gearing , so it’s either a smaller front or bigger rear sprocket next

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Bigger rear it better for chain life than tighter smaller front I was told years ago. Whether there is truth in it I don’t know!

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Bigger rear it better for chain life than tighter smaller front I was told years ago. Whether there is truth in it I don’t know!
Could be an 'old wive's tale'. Without doing some lengthy computations, when the chain is going to do 'X' amount of rotations per mile, I think it would be negligible that 1 or 2 teeth either way would impact on chain life - and that's considering exactly the same maintenance and lubrication. Perhaps it's akin to walking a mile taking longer steps; yes, there will be fewer steps, but the strike impact will be greater and therefore 'equalise' any wear savings generated by the fewer steps.

Any other scientific conundrums can be thrown my way!! 😎

1 - 5 of 5 Posts