Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed a tiny amount of oil on the garage floor under my bike. After a 30 second review, it appears to be coming from the stator cover. Any ideas? Also I'm tuning her up for spring, so what all should I do? I purchased a NEW battery, stator & cover, chain, sprockets, plugs, grips, oil & filter, air filter, front brake lines & pads, and am going to have my valves adjusted. I'm at 16k miles. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
152 Posts
If thats the area..it might be the stator cover gasket..if your putting a new one in might as well replace the gasket as it most likely will be ruined after removal..make sure its not leaking from somewhere else though

·
Registered
834 Posts
Have you removed your stator cover before? Did you use a torque wrench when re-installing the stator cover? If not you/previous owner could have warped it by overtightening the bolts. Remove it and use a straight and check the cover to make sure it is straight. A new gasket will not fix a bent cover. A bent cover can be fixed with a little work with a file and some sanding?

As for the valve adjustment if you don't hear anything knocking you will probably be wasting your money. Unless you can do it yourself you will be out several hundred dollars for a dealer or mechanic to check them to most likely tell you everything is fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I purchased a new cover (billet). I was throwing money at it and figured why not? My old one is scratched from a low speed slide anyway. Does the stator sit in oil? I don't really understand that. Is there SUPPOSED to be oil behind the stator cover?

Also there is a light tapping sound at low rpm especially under load, I assumed this was valves.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Well I purchased a new cover (billet). I was throwing money at it and figured why not? My old one is scratched from a low speed slide anyway. Does the stator sit in oil? I don't really understand that. Is there SUPPOSED to be oil behind the stator cover?

Also there is a light tapping sound at low rpm especially under load, I assumed this was valves.
Yes, there is oil in the stator cover. Lean the bike against a wall at an angle similar to where it would lean to the left on the side stand and you should lose very little oil when you remove the cover. Put a bunch of newspaper down first though as you are going to lose some.

A light tapping sound under load sounds like detonation. Do you still hear it when you run a higher octane fuel? You can also get detonation if you give it a heap of throttle at too low rpm - under about 4000rpm is too low for hard throttle on the the 929/954.

Valves on cam-on-bucket valve trains usually tighten up so you won't hear the valves when they need adjusting. If you can hear valve noise it's more likely a worn chain or tensioner.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so what all should I check out\fix\maintain? I want to do everything all at once and be done with it for awhile. I'm at 16k miles.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
ok so what all should I check out\fix\maintain? I want to do everything all at once and be done with it for awhile. I'm at 16k miles.
You said you bought a new stator?
Why?

Oil and filter, air filter, fork oil, brake fluid, coolant, spark plugs and pull the valve cover and measure your valve clearances.
Write them in your manual so you can compare them next time and you'll be able to work out when they're going to need doing.
You can also replace the fuel filter inside the fuel tank.
And go over the entire bike checking everything is tight. Pull the wheels off to check the wheel bearings. Tension the steering head bearings.
Lube and adjust the throttle and clutch cables.
Clean the HTEV, remove the airbox flapper and lube the HTEV cables.
Check that the rear axle is the same distance from the swingarm pivot on both sides and then check the wheel alignment.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bladeracer,

Yet again, bladeracer dispenses sound, timely advice. and yet, again, here i am realizing, after reading bladracer's advice that there are still two things on the list that i have never done, but i need to do immediately:

1.) I need to change my fork oil. Which weight would you suggest for a caribbean climate where it never dips below 75 degress Farenheight (spelled it wrong; sorry, no spell check available.)

2.) I have over 60,000km and i have never checked the valves either! Never! however, i've never felt like i needed to check them because the bike starts up every single time and runs fantastic. but i've been afraid and hesitant to check them for the simple reason that, wait... i don't know how and the hell to check them!

everything else has been done except, i just realized now, i've never changed the fuel filter inside the fuel tank either.

so much to remember!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
1.) I need to change my fork oil. Which weight would you suggest for a caribbean climate where it never dips below 75 degress Farenheight
Stock is 8W I think so maybe stay with that or 10W but I wouldn't go any heavier. If it's under-damped with 10W you'd be better revalving the forks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out to be a crack in the casing itself. Replaced the cover and gasket, and am just going to live with a drop a day of oil on the garage floor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
At 18k mine had three tight exhaust valves. It seems that the 954 usually does need some adjustments unlike the 929. You should check those valves. The good news is that unless you have to swap shims on the closest cyl to the cam sprocket you can do them without completely removing the cams. I just lifted them out of the way. Whats up Blade? I got my hot start problem fixed by adjusting the valves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts