Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I know I have been missing since 2011, but I'm back with more stupid questions!!! YAY!!! I am currently looking to buy my next bike, and have narrowed it down to 2 perspective machines. The first is a 1997 Blackbird with about 27k miles priced at $3600 (US) out the door.

Pros- Clean, right size for me, comfortable seat, decent paint, pretty sanitary when it comes to mods, coming from a dealership where I know they actually check the bikes out.

Cons- Carbs?!?! wtf!!, older bike for almost $4k, single piece seat (not split). I am worried as fuel injection is helpful in the sense of not having to re-jet in the winter, and I ride year round.

The second is a 2001 954 with 31k miles. The asking price is $3500, but I have not tried working him down yet (so still can attempt). My biggest concern is the 31k miles on the bike, and I do not know what has been done for service. Also the tranny tends to start losing 2nd gear around this mileage, assuming it has not been repaired previously.

Pros- Clean, sexy, fireblade, very few aftermarket parts, below retail value, fuel injection, no taxes etc..

Cons- been on the track, untested (as far as I know), and a few hours away.

Just need people's advice on which way to go. I like both bikes, but the 954 seems to be a better deal. After looking up the 11xx on nada I found out it is listed as $2907 average retail. I'm not positive that this is 100% accurate either.

So my questions about the blackbird as I am not used to bikes with carbs. I would assume you need to re-jet for temp changes? How often do you need to sync the carbs? Any advice here would be great. I am leaning more toward the blade, but if I can talk the dealership down on the price, I also like the blackbird..... such tough choices... any advice would be great, especially pertaining to carbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay guys, I know I have been missing since 2011, but I'm back with more stupid questions!!! YAY!!! I am currently looking to buy my next bike, and have narrowed it down to 2 perspective machines. The first is a 1997 Blackbird with about 27k miles priced at $3600 (US) out the door.

Pros- Clean, right size for me, comfortable seat, decent paint, pretty sanitary when it comes to mods, coming from a dealership where I know they actually check the bikes out.

Cons- Carbs?!?! wtf!!, older bike for almost $4k, single piece seat (not split). I am worried as fuel injection is helpful in the sense of not having to re-jet in the winter, and I ride year round.

The second is a 2001 954 with 31k miles. The asking price is $3500, but I have not tried working him down yet (so still can attempt). My biggest concern is the 31k miles on the bike, and I do not know what has been done for service. Also the tranny tends to start losing 2nd gear around this mileage, assuming it has not been repaired previously.

Pros- Clean, sexy, fireblade, very few aftermarket parts, below retail value, fuel injection, no taxes etc..

Cons- been on the track, untested (as far as I know), and a few hours away.

Just need people's advice on which way to go. I like both bikes, but the 954 seems to be a better deal. After looking up the 11xx on nada I found out it is listed as $2907 average retail. I'm not positive that this is 100% accurate either.

So my questions about the blackbird as I am not used to bikes with carbs. I would assume you need to re-jet for temp changes? How often do you need to sync the carbs? Any advice here would be great. I am leaning more toward the blade, but if I can talk the dealership down on the price, I also like the blackbird..... such tough choices... any advice would be great, especially pertaining to carbs.
Hey, man....

Out of curiosity, which bike did you end up buying? I was in the same doubt and a better deal appeared on the CBR 954. I've had it for a few months. But I always think of the CBR 1100 as a future replacement, as my son is still 3 years old. But when he grows up, I want to go for walks with him. I had the opportunity to ride XX before I bought the 954. I found it to be a very good, luxurious feeling. Already the 954 is insane in lightness, acceleration, curves. Any opinion I'm grateful.
Hug.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts