Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

954 outer pipes cool

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Fisch 
#1 · (Edited)
My 03 ran fine about 3 weeks ago. Smooth as glass.

Few days ago went to ride and the battery was nearly dead... it started once... but not again. Put a charger on it for 2 days. Removed charger and it holds 12.5V for about 3 days.

Started tonight and checked voltage. Sitting I have 12.6V... when I start 12.3V at idle... 14.5V at 4000rmp.

I went to town tonight and it ran like it was running on 2 cylinders. Kicking and bucking and missing and bogging. I really had to bring up the rmps to start it rolling from a stop (to keep from stalling). Thinking it may be old gas (about 1/4 tank left)... filled with premium and did not help after about 30 miles. I tried to open it up on the highway and it just bucked and kicked through all rmps. Temp was running normal from 180-205degF.

Pulled over and did the "spit test" on the pipes... touched my spitty finger to each pipe by the head and the outer two pipes were just very very warm... the two inner pipes were sizzling hot (my spit spitted when I touched them).

Any thoughts on what could have happened? Or where to start?

See less See more
#2 ·
probably 2 bad plugs at the worst...your stator is charging fine BTW....i bet if you throw some good 'high quality' octane boost/ FI cleaner, the problem will resolve itself very fast, at least temporarily - then you'll know if you fouled the plugs or not...don't use that cheap 'SNAP' 99 cents cleaner either....spend $5-$10 on some good stuff

#5 ·
I am buying 4 new plugs this afternoon.

The bike only has 2700 miles on it so I was thinking that it probably was not that. However, with that possibly old gas... may have accelerated the problem.

I also thought that filling it with the premium... it would accomplish the same thing as using the FI cleaner.

So... I will buy some Chevron with Techron today also.

{I will update on the results... I am married with 2 kids... so it may not be tonight. haha}

#6 ·
I am buying 4 new plugs this afternoon.

The bike only has 2700 miles on it so I was thinking that it probably was not that. However, with that possibly old gas... may have accelerated the problem.

I also thought that filling it with the premium... it would accomplish the same thing as using the FI cleaner.

So... I will buy some Chevron with Techron today also.

{I will update on the results... I am married with 2 kids... so it may not be tonight. haha}
just get some GOOD octane boost /FI cleaner....forget about the plugs until you try this first...with only 2700 miles, that thing could have gunk in the injectors from flat out lack of use !

#8 ·
" Flat out lack of use " Ok. you got me on that one.

• I changed the plugs. See attached Pix. They are laid out as if you were sitting on the bike (left to right). Note the outer plugs insulator that surrounds the electrode. The outers are black and inners are whiteish.
  • Removed fuel.
  • Installed new fuel with FI Cleaner (Chevron w Techron).
Sounds and runs fine now.

What is there to be said about the two outer plugs failing at the same time??? My uncle was telling me there is a valve where the pipes come together that may not be working correctly. Anyone ever heard of?

Attachments

#9 ·
" Flat out lack of use " Ok. you got me on that one.
  • I changed the plugs. See attached Pix. They are laid out as if you were sitting on the bike (left to right). Note the outer plugs insulator that surrounds the electrode. The outers are black and inners are whiteish.
  • Removed fuel.
  • Installed new fuel with FI Cleaner (Chevron w Techron).
Sounds and runs fine now.

What is there to be said about the two outer plugs failing at the same time??? My uncle was telling me there is a valve where the pipes come together that may not be working correctly. Anyone ever heard of?
When you have a bike sitting around like that for any length of time, and it is hardly used ( as yours was ) stale fuel will be sitting not only in the tank,but also in the fuel lines.You start it up and run it a bit, and all that garbage gets pushed right through to the injectors...glad to hear it's running good again :thumb:

#12 ·
HELP Again.!! I took it for a 10 mile trip down the road. I am back to square one. It is doing it again. Tonight I started it and let it idle until 150deg and as soon as I was pulling out of the driveway, I could feel it's sluggishness again. Got about 10 miles down the road and it started spitting and sputtering again. I did the spit test just now, and they do feel hotter, but what is all the bucking? Surely I didn't foul out the two plugs again. From idle it is like a 2 cylinder with bad timing. At high rpms and under load, it seems to run better, just when cruising at say 60... it keeps bucking on me.

#14 ·
fuel pressure regulater is spilling gas into vacuum lines. octane boosters are a joke. If you want a slower burn get 110 or 112 leaded race fuel, or go to a small airport and get some low lead 100 octane. If it consumes large amounts of fuel, or you put your hand behind the exhaust and their are black spots all over your hands and you smell gas, check the regulator.

#16 ·
So,

was your old one (FPR) visibly leaking in the vaccum lines? Did you try to pull out the small pipe from it, with the pump working/primming to see if you have any drips? Or did you just replace it for good measure?

is the bike perfect now? did you go on any long(ish) rides?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.