Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fireblade Family! It's been a while since I've posted on this forum. Life has happened and I hardly even have time to ride anymore. To add on that, I recently got wrist surgery and my rehab time will be very long. Realistically won't be able to turn a throttle until April/may, which is heartbreaking.

Anyways... I still have my beloved 954rr, now with 21k miles, and I'm looking to get another bike (post-surgery depression related...?) I've been looking at 08+ 1000's, as I love those bikes, but a friend pointed out why not an RC51? My question is; what do YOU all think?

There's a very clean '08 1000RR with 5k miles I can get, or a potentially very clean '05 RC51 with under 4xxx miles on it for a few thousand less. Honestly, the more I think, the more bland it sounds to have two inlines, where one is basically just a newer and more powerful version of the other. If I get the RC51 - and forget about outright performance for ONCE in my life - this could be the start of me attempting to expand my horizons. Thoughts?

I appreciate all of you!

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
heal well, Gio... and I'd never pass on the opportunity to have Honda's finest two machines in my stable: RR2/RR3 and an RC51 :nworthy:

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I like that, expanding your horizons.
The RC51 is a completely different feel than an inline. For one, all your engine inertia is lineal - traveling the same direction as your bike. I swear I feel the difference as I'm approaching turns and i'm in the 5 to 9K rpm range. But she does feel heavy at slower speeds, something that is pretty easy to get used to, because once she's up to speed she's nothing but planted on rails.
That's assuming you have good suspension. That's the weakest point of RC51's stock suspension. It limits the bikes potential.
I sent my forks to Kyle for a rework and Ohlins valving/springs. Put a Ohlins shock out back with a link, and WoW!!! The bike is at the next level for sure.

Good luck, come back for any technical questions. I've been riding and wrenching on mine for almost 9 years and 35,000 miles.
I truly love these machines.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heal well, Gio... and I'd never pass on the opportunity to have Honda's finest two machines in my stable: RR2/RR3 and an RC51 :nworthy:
Thank you! Unfortunately the one I was looking at sold. It was at an HD dealership for $3995, and looked extremely clean with only 4k miles on it. Someone got an incredible deal

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like that, expanding your horizons.
The RC51 is a completely different feel than an inline. For one, all your engine inertia is lineal - traveling the same direction as your bike. I swear I feel the difference as I'm approaching turns and i'm in the 5 to 9K rpm range. But she does feel heavy at slower speeds, something that is pretty easy to get used to, because once she's up to speed she's nothing but planted on rails.
That's assuming you have good suspension. That's the weakest point of RC51's stock suspension. It limits the bikes potential.
I sent my forks to Kyle for a rework and Ohlins valving/springs. Put a Ohlins shock out back with a link, and WoW!!! The bike is at the next level for sure.

Good luck, come back for any technical questions. I've been riding and wrenching on mine for almost 9 years and 35,000 miles.
I truly love these machines.
I'll keep searching for an RC51, but the market at this point is dried up or people, IMO, are asking too much for theirs. I'd have a hard time letting myself get one with over 15k miles on it. Also, I'm now looking for Aprilia RSV1000's but reasonable ones are hard to find as well. Checking out the '08 1000RR either today or tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated!

On a side note, my brother owns an '09 Buell 1125CR so I'm familiar with powerful twins. I just want a new toy I can look forward to riding while I'm recovering from this surgery.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'll throw in my .02 since I own both...

No doubt that well kept RCs command a premium, but if you can locate one heading into (or during) winter, perhaps you could find a nice SP2 for a reasonable price (too bad that one at the HD dealer sold) or one in need of a little TLC.

Can't really say much more about the RC51; lots of soul & character. Fun times. :)

As for the 08+ Fireblade, I'd personally stay away from the 2008, 2009 and 2010 model year bikes for a few key reasons:

- Piston re-ring job / severe oil consumption issues (probably no longer covered by Honda/warranty/TSB, etc).

- Engine may require new crank; the engine will make a "whining" sound at idle or sound like it is "supercharged" for lack of a better description (again, the fix for this is probably no longer covered by Honda).

Now, I'm not bagging on the newer blades (I owned a 2011 version & loved it) but some of the 08-10s suffered from these motor "quirks." Feel free to search the 'net for the official Honda technical papers (PDF docs) that are sure to still be floating around.

The '08+ blades are loads faster than the older/heavier RC51, no real comparison there but you already probably knew that. :)

G'luck with your search and continue to heal up...

Reactions: unslow1

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll throw in my .02 since I own both...

No doubt that well kept RCs command a premium, but if you can locate one heading into (or during) winter, perhaps you could find a nice SP2 for a reasonable price (too bad that one at the HD dealer sold) or one in need of a little TLC.

Can't really say much more about the RC51; lots of soul & character. Fun times. :)

As for the 08+ Fireblade, I'd personally stay away from the 2008, 2009 and 2010 model year bikes for a few key reasons:

- Piston re-ring job / severe oil consumption issues (probably no longer covered by Honda/warranty/TSB, etc).

- Engine may require new crank; the engine will make a "whining" sound at idle or sound like it is "supercharged" for lack of a better description (again, the fix for this is probably no longer covered by Honda).

Now, I'm not bagging on the newer blades (I owned a 2011 version & loved it) but some of the 08-10s suffered from these motor "quirks." Feel free to search the 'net for the official Honda technical papers (PDF docs) that are sure to still be floating around.

The '08+ blades are loads faster than the older/heavier RC51, no real comparison there but you already probably knew that. :)

G'luck with your search and continue to heal up...
Thanks Cobra! I've heard about the oil consumption problems on the 08's, but not any of the others. Definitely food for thought. Any idea what % of that generation was afflicted? It was also my understanding that the '12+ generation had the same motor, more or less? Off the top of your head, are they known for any common issues? I will obviously research this all. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
ive always been interested in the sp2's, but ive riden many more modern cbr 1000's, including the 05,08, 11, 15 and 17. personally i wouldnt trade my 954 for anything pre 2011.

welcome to the club btw...

it took about 6 months to get 85% of the mobility back, but i was riding a few months later.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive always been interested in the sp2's, but ive riden many more modern cbr 1000's, including the 05,08, 11, 15 and 17. personally i wouldnt trade my 954 for anything pre 2011.

welcome to the club btw...

it took about 6 months to get 85% of the mobility back, but i was riding a few months later.
ouch, Kev! Glad you're better and riding again! That's quite a bit of hardware you got there. Airports should be fun... :| I unfortunately had a broken scaphoid for 15 months. Official diagnosis was "proximal pole scaphoid nonunion", which unfortunately means the bone failed to heal and was dead completely. Not sure if you are familiar with scaphoid fractures, but they are a total b***h, and I broke the worst part of it. Surgery consisted of a bone graft from the radius to try and revive the dead piece, a screw, and a 2mm wire which I still have for another 2 weeks. I'm 3 weeks post-op right now, and I really have no guarantee of how I'm gonna heal. It wasn't a good situation and my surgeon couldn't promise anything. Really sucks because I'm no longer able to do ANY of my hobbies. Can't ride, cant drive my Camaro SS 1LE, can't play soccer, can't work out! I'm hoping I'll be able to twist a throttle again in the spring. Fingers crossed the surgery proves successful!

I probably won't be getting rid of the 954 regardless of what I get. Currently attempting to negotiate a beautiful '12 1000....lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
well, i hope you heal up well brother. lord knows i feel your pain being away from your hobbies during the healing phase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts