Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone..I am replacing my water pump this weekend on my 2002 954 and was wondered if anyone has any pointers, looks plug and play. Also any coolant draining/filling tricks and purging the air out properly. Any Help would be great. Thanks for your time..Frank

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I did mine last week. Pretty simple. Manual says:

Take off fairings
Undo radiator cap (make sure engine is cold obviously)
Undo drain bolt on water pump and drain fluids (I also used fresh water to flush the system before putting the water pump drain bolt back on).
Undo drain bolt on block and drain those fluids, and replace when done.
Unplug siphon tube from radiator and drain coolant reserve tank (and flush it while it's off).

To fill: Make sure all pipes are connected
Fill reserve coolant bottle to full mark
Fill radiator
Start bike and let idle for 2-3 minutes (with rad cap off).
Fill radiator as necessary
Rev the bike 3-4 times to remove any air bubbles in system.
Make sure rad is full.
Stop engine, put the cap back on, and reassemble bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply sky91. Huge help on the re-fill part. I wanted to be sure the proper procedure was done on purging the air out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
sorry to drag up a really old thread,but im reading in my manual about flushing compound or can i just get away with flushing with tap water through a hose?

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Normally you don't want tap water in your system due to the minerals. If you live in a hard water area, you really don't want tap water in there. When you mix coolant and water, you use distilled water.

If you are looking at replacing the coolant. Mix some extra, drain the current, leave the system open and pour some in, the new will help push some of the old out. Button the system back up and then fill, burp, fill, burp, etc. until all of the air is out.

Alternatively, if you don't want to pour new coolant in to help flush the old out, just pour some distilled water in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i was going to use the type 2 genuine honda coolant as i have a fair amount left from topping the old bike up after a hose change ,so no need to by the flushing compound then ,distilled water will do..thanks for the reply on a really old thread,i intend to change fluids while im doing oil and filters in a month or so time

·
Registered
40 Posts
You may want to think about throwing in a new thermostat while you have it drained?
The bike is cooling as it should all year round so im hoping things are ok,just cant be sure how long its been since the bike had fresh coolant as ive only owned it 7 months now and it had been on sorn a while before the guy i got it from had purchased it to freshen up and sell on

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another quick ask,im on fowlers looking for the washer on for the drain bolt for the cyclinder and as usual having no luck,does any one know the part number or dimensions of the washer ?and does anyone actually replace the washer on waterpump drain or cyclinder drain bolt?

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
If you go to any of the online part places, they have the electronic fiche of everything. try:
Bike Bandit
Parts Zilla

Once you find it, they will list the part number.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you go to any of the online part places, they have the electronic fiche of everything. try:
Bike Bandit
Parts Zilla

Once you find it, they will list the part number.
I double checked in the manual where the bolt was and found it on fowlers,now to try and find a supplier who doesn't charge 3 odd pounds for one washer and an additional 3 odd quid for delivery,ebay is bringing up usa sellers..i know its 6mm inner diameter not sure on the outer,im sure ill source one when needed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Consensus is that most of us don't change crush washers as often as we should (every time). Only time I had one fail is when I opened the fuel system on my F4i. It was only obvious because I parked the bike in my living room.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Consensus is that most of us don't change crush washers as often as we should (every time). Only time I had one fail is when I opened the fuel system on my F4i. It was only obvious because I parked the bike in my living room.
This is what i had thought,but i seem to have very bad luck with almost anything in life i try and do that involves anything mechanical,electrical or most things so was thinking on hedging my bets and getting some in just incase

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
This is what i had thought,but i seem to have very bad luck with almost anything in life i try and do that involves anything mechanical,electrical or most things so was thinking on hedging my bets and getting some in just incase
Well, don't hedge your bet and think that 2 washers is better than one :grin

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well, don't hedge your bet and think that 2 washers is better than one :grin

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
As long as it doesn't say Lucas, you shouldn't have an issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts