Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 954 engine on craigslist, and the guy is claiming that it's a race engine that came with no numbers stamped on it. I haven't looked at it yet, but he claims there's no evidence of numbers having been removed and that it looks like they were simply never stamped.

I know I've heard of this being done, but did Honda make race engines with no numbers on them? I really don't want to buy something stolen...

·
Registered
902 Posts
I remember watching a program about race bikes and there engines, and the frame and the engine were stamped. On the engine they needed to mark them so that they would know what configeration they were, ie for development and what parts to put in them. Think about it no engine marks how would you know what componants go in it for service and repair. Look real close again recon you will see were the numbers were filled or sanded down. Your call !!!!

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I'm looking at a 954 engine on craigslist, and the guy is claiming that it's a race engine that came with no numbers stamped on it. I haven't looked at it yet, but he claims there's no evidence of numbers having been removed and that it looks like they were simply never stamped.

I know I've heard of this being done, but did Honda make race engines with no numbers on them? I really don't want to buy something stolen...
I think even new cases from the manufacturer come with numbers?
A race engine would be modified depending on the class it was built to comply with. What is he claiming has been modified?
If it has stock cams or pistons for example then it's not a race engine.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I know that the frames that are sold new from MRCYCLES.com come with no vin from the manufacturer, but it is said that they recieve the frame in most cases to stamp a vin. Ive seen one motor that has not had a vin on it. That was a couple years back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.