Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building an 03 into a racebike... what do people who've raced them think of them... any weak spots, strong points... vital aftermarket adds???

and anyone with knowledge of the 06 cbr600rr on the track... any comparisons?

thanks

Lynn

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
A 954 compared to a 600RR is apples to oranges. Compared to the current line of liter bikes, the 954 is dated...the bike is heavier, down in power, and the suspension and frame are lacking. With enough money and time, a 954 can be made more competitive depending on what level of racing you're considering. Adding a full exhaust system and reworking the suspension are good places to start.

...and I've never raced one.

·
Registered
946 Posts
A 954 compared to a 600RR is apples to oranges. Compared to the current line of liter bikes, the 954 is dated...the bike is heavier, down in power, and the suspension and frame are lacking. With enough money and time, a 954 can be made more competitive depending on what level of racing you're considering. Adding a full exhaust system and reworking the suspension are good places to start.

...and I've never raced one.
Current 1000RR is heavier then the 929 (not sure about 954) by 3 pounds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
to answer your question's there is alot you need to do. first are you going to race it in a superstock class or superbike class? I would recommmened a steering dampener for sure, also get the forks reworked, I went with ohlins springs and GP suspension valving. the rear shock doesn't suck as bad as the forks but defintely get it set up for wieght. clip-ons, and not just for "easy to replace" part, I got some more for the fact that the 954 has huge risers on the stock clip-ons and it was tough to get the body below the windscreen. moving the bars lower helped alot. with that mod you might need to change up the throttle, but I will leave that for another time. rearsets? I don't have any but it wouldn't be a bad thing to invest in. I would only recomend racing the 954 in a novice class or a class were it doesn't matter what kind of bike you have. if you race in the superbike class you would be at quit a dis-advantage on power. you stand a better chance in the superstock class because it's more about the rider then the bike. I am racing novice this year on mine (any type of bike is allowed) I would say I'm in the top 10 of about 40 or so people.

·
Registered
511 Posts
i would change out the suspension completely for Ohlins forks & shock, at the very least respring and revalve forks, 520 conv. & change gearing to -1 F /+2 R, swap stock rims for either forged alum, mag or cf rims, ad a full exh. system & PC3. Have fun

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1st year as an expert... but I'm actually looking forward to the 954... I hold my own against the 1k's on my (wifes) 600RR. I always get yanked down the straights, close in the corner, but it's hard to make a pass stick down the next straight... so (from what I've read on here) the 954 should have a "600ish" feel, just with some extra ponies to even the playing field somewhat on the straights...

I've got a scotts, and the 954 mount is on the way... I'm short, so I have adjustable rearsets on the way, didn't even think about the clip ons, since I got it wrecked and haven't even gotten to sit on it yet. I've just got stock suspension on the 600RR, but am planning on proper springs this season at the very least... maybe a revalve over the winter...

As for classes, looks like I'm in expert endurance, formula 1k, open superbike, and (once I get up to expert pace) unlimited GP.

Thanks for the input, and keep it comin!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Nah... SMRI... I'd like to run some other stuff, but this racing crap is expensive, and with me and my wife both roadracing, and us and all 4 of our daughters riding dirt, we spend (waste?) a LOT of money on motorcycles.

I went to hallett for a trackday last year, and I'm going to try to get several SMRI riders to make it over there for the sept 2 day trackday this year...

"The Bitch" last year... one of the most fun days I've ever had on the track.
View attachment 29584

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Yeah my AV is turn 6, everybodys favorite.

Here is my "Bitch" picture.

reeling in a buddy on his f4i.

Hallets an awful small track for the 54 I'm only in the high 1'30's to low 1'40s 1'41 was my last session average and its just a beast to ride.

Ride safe man, I am going to cornerwork the CMRA races this weekend.

That racing stuff is way to expensive.

This wasn't the fathers day trackday last june was it? There was a couple there and that color looks familliar.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
turn 6... the big left hander when youre going counter clockwise?... LOL I don't like that turn... I'm not very good to the left yet... "the bitch" was by far my favorite turn on the whole track...

1:30.020 was my best lap (gotta love having a wife who files EVERYTHING!) I never did get the turn right before the front straight figured out... I'm really looking forward to making it out there... Hallett is a pretty big track compared to what we run... LOL my braking point for turn one was when the bike started headshaking!!!

Sandia (where SMRI races) is 7 turns in 1.2 miles... you NEVER get to tuck down and rest:)

Have fun cornerworking... best seats in the house... I'll be spending the weekend working on turning this 954 into a race bike...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts