Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!
I have a 2002 954rr which I,ve had for a bit over a year now. The cam chain has rattled when the engine is cold ever since i bought the bike, but just before winter it also started making valve noise.
So I took the bike apart during winter, adjusted the valve clearances and swapped out the old CCT with a new one (OEM). But ever since i swapped out the CCT the engine rattles like crazy when cold then calms down when it hits approx 50 degrees °C. I read everywhere that this is normal for the 54s' ,but the bike sounds it is going to fall apart when cold and I can't help but worry about the engine breaking down. The CCT is original and brand new.
Can someone please explain what the reason for this may be, and if possible how to resolve this issue?

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Not wishing to insult your mechanical skills, but might it be possible you've reinstalled with the cam one tooth out?

I wonder this because when you say that just before winter it started making valve noise, that suggests the loose chain might have jumped at that time. If you've replaced it in that exact position, that will explain the continued noise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I thought that might be the case, so I stripped down everything again to check. Both marks on the intake and exhaust cam shafts align aswell as the one on the crank.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Both my RR2 & RR3 are quite rattly until the oil has cycled. Although each is surely due for a valve adjustment, I've come to accept that they're just "noisy" at start-up. :O

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've heard from several other people who own/owned 54s', and they also said that it is completely normal, but I've never had a bike with this much noise.
Guess i'll just ride it and see if it gets worse or not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got the rattlies on my 954 as well.
I have NO IDEA whether this is true BUT I've been told (by a bloke down the pub) that the issue could be exaggerated by the lighter oils we use these days. The CCT is apparently 'powered up' by oil pressure. He says the lighter/low viscosity oils 5w and 10w take longer to pressure up the CCT.
I repeat, I have no clue as to whether this might be true - but would welcome comments.
I did get into the CCT and gave it a good wiggling. A gynaecologist would have helped to be honest. The noise went away, but came back.
Next step will be to put some more grunt in the spring. There are many Youtube Videos on rebuilding CCTs like this one

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,271 Posts
I've got the rattlies on my 954 as well.
I have NO IDEA whether this is true BUT I've been told (by a bloke down the pub) that the issue could be exaggerated by the lighter oils we use these days. The CCT is apparently 'powered up' by oil pressure. He says the lighter/low viscosity oils 5w and 10w take longer to pressure up the CCT.
I repeat, I have no clue as to whether this might be true - but would welcome comments.
I did get into the CCT and gave it a good wiggling. A gynaecologist would have helped to be honest. The noise went away, but came back.
Next step will be to put some more grunt in the spring. There are many Youtube Videos on rebuilding CCTs like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6c_uhrVOw&t=6s
Honda did produce some "maintenance free" CCT's. They were powered by oil pressure, and my old CBR600F was one of them. The tiny orifices get clogged with debris from the oil and lose their ability to build pressure against the tensioner guide. Common problem.

Unfortunately, they were not put on the 900,929, or 954.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts