Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I read the knowledge base and the shop manual!

But the axel will not slide out without pounding on it!

Is this normal? If I continue I will mar/mess up the threads!

Help!

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I have my bike on the rear stand I sit behind it and let my legs hold the wheel up so that there isn't a load on the axle. It slides out easy that way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Luck. Somthing is wrong. Took a big ball peen hammer and a 3/8 extention. Got it half way. hammered it back. The Threaded end is hosed! It feels like a press fit only tighter.

FUBAR

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
mmeacham : Yes. First time. 5k miles. I did support the wheel. So I am right? Something is FUBAR?
Yeah, that just doesn't sound right to me man... I mean, sometimes its tough, and I do have to tap it with a ratchet or something to start the push out, but never a hammer...

Ducati guys use hammers... I think something else is up, yeah, probably fubar...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was froze up on the left bearing. I hammered it back in and then out. But the threads are messed up. I hope the dealer has an axel and nut in stock. Else I will miss track day on Thursday.
I think I will put some kind of anti freezing agent when it goes back together.

Now for the front. Thanks. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Make sure you liberally grease the axles before reinserting them. It's amazing how little grease there is on the axles from the factory. If your bike is still under warranty, I'd take the replacement cost issue up (in a nasty way) with the dealership.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Man, I wonder if the axle isn't bent or warped in some way. I had to tap both the front and the rear ones on mine with a hammer to get them started, but once I could get a hand on the other side I could pull them out (provided I supported the wheel to take off some of the stress). Pete's right on about re-insertion: buy some grease and lube them up. Mine had little to nothing on them.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
PMFJI,

When a shaft is stuck in a bearing like that, and you end up hammering it out, its likely that the bearing might be toast as well.... Feel it carefully while rotating it with your finger to make sure there are no dents in the races....they will feel like 'little bumps'. If it feels a bit dinged, best to replace it...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got an Axel from the dealer. He actually pulled one out of a bike for me make the track day! Baketech: the bearing itself checked out fine. thanks. But the inner sleeve/race needed cleaning as this caused the galling. I used emery cloth and it cleaned up. I then greased the entire length of the axel. It was still tight but only required gentle tapping with a wood block. Hope this won't happen again. Thank everyone for the input.

P.S. track day was the best ever. I might more up to B. The director said I could do it easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts