Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about the soft rev on the 51 but can not seem to find much about the 954. I saw one guy that said he raised his redline from 12,200 to 13,000. The reason I ask is I do alot of track days at Barbers and would like to hold 3rd longer before turn 5.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I've never heard of a rev limiter mod for the 954. The soft rev limiter mod is for the RC51. Personally, I wouldn't want to raise the redline. It's where it is for a reason, I'd think. I'd be worried about damaging the engine. Perhaps a gearing change of some sort would help you out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize it sounds stupid but I have a full yosh system, v stacks, flapper mod, pc3r, and a local dyno shop to work with. I have no interest in more power I just need another 100-200 rpms on one straight. I think I can get enough fuel on top with some tuning and the only time I would do this is on track days. I am going to give it a try and will post results. I tend to agree with one of the guys in the above link that honda is usualy overly safe about redlines in all their engines. I will find out soon enough.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also in regard to gear changes, I also use my 954 for alot of street riding and I don't want to raise the rpm's any more for daily driving. Regardless of the way I might sound I take alot of care with her and usualy shift around 6,000 for daily usage. Like I said earlier I really just need a few more rpm's to carry a little more speed down that short straight. Of course we all know these are just track days and it does not really matter but I am a nerd and want to at least check out the possibilities.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Doesnt sound stupid at all mate.

If I had velocity stacsks & a full system I would be keen on the extra RPM as those 2 mods will help the power hang on & not tail off for an extra few hundred RPM. You should then be able to utilise some extra RPM to your asvantage.

I was thinking of doing the same mod after geting some head work done & a big bore kit as well as stacks. Then I could put 2 extra teeth on the rear sprocket & effectively gain more grunt withpout losing any speed in each gear - its what they did with the 06-07 1000rr.

Do it & then tell me what its like!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have it on my bike and it does make a difference. Especially with bikes with lowered gearing that will benefit a lot from the overrev.

I have mine on a switch, so I can switch between the two at the flick of the switch.

Only two things to note.
1. Stock, or even with full exhaust it does not feel that its making extra power up there. Still very ussable as overrev, lets say to keep a gear between corners, or save a wheelie... With engine mods, I can see huge potential.

2. When activated, it does alter the fuelling throughout the rev range. Even at idle, it is running richer. So really it needs to be set up with a PCiii on the RR. But I bet this will go unnoticed from most riders. My impression is that the extra fuel, especially down low, makes for a "heavier"/less responsive engine... Now do not take this as a huge problem, as it is not. I strongly believe most people will not even notice.

Also I'm not too sure that it does require extra fuel up there (12-13K). The ECU seems to be doing well on its own. Really it needs to be set up on a RR to make the most of it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
oh, and the engine can take it no problem. Had it for years, revved it to the limmiter every single day, many times a day.

no overheating, no strange noises, no extra vibration. everything is normal. Rev limiter still works as before, just higher...

·
Registered
72 Posts
So after reading all this I still cant make out if its the same for a UK spec 929???

Am I being thick ....................dont answer that!!

I,m keen to give it a go on my 929.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have no idea if it works for the 929, but yes, it is different. The ECU is differrent basically so I do not expect it to work.

·
Registered
511 Posts
did anyone create a custom fuel map around this mod?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have seen a few, and might find one or two in my hard drive, but from memory they were nothing special. Or maybe I did not try them enough.

If you have done the mod and are interested, let me know and I will try to dig these out of the hard drive...

·
Registered
511 Posts
ill be doing the mod, it looks like it will take a whole 10 minutes lol.. i would be interested in any maps that i could load into my PCIIIR since my erion full system map only shows it being able to accept adjustments up to 12500 with fuel currently being added only up 12K.

M110-015+4.map

·
Registered
238 Posts
get one of the other maps let say for a full akra that extend all the way to 14.000 and just copy and paste (Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V) all the values from erion map to the new map table with values for the higher revs as you like...

·
Registered
511 Posts
didnt think that they had maps for a 954 over 12500 since the revlimit wouldnt normally change for other pipes on the same bike.. are you saying i can grab a say a 600rr map, and just paste a 954 map over the values & upload that?? sounds simple enough, hope it works. what values would you recommend for 12500 and up?

*edit*... nevermind, i found that a zero map goes up to 14k..i copied everything from the erion map to it, thanks! i still need values to add through the rest of the range from 12500 on up, wondering if i should just extend the values that are already at 12K all the way up to 13500..

·
Registered
238 Posts
all the values will be just guessing as the bike is powerfull enough at this revs to make small fuelling changes go largelly unoticed from the butt dyno.

Only way to know for sure is on a proper rolling road which I have not had the luck to get mine to yet...

Sorry I can not be of any real help here other than say that I have mine at +5 for the extra revs only hopping that richer is safer than lean, but it keeps spinning in my mind that maybe the bike is over rich up there anyway... At least thats what my exhaust says....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
loaded 0 map with 14000 of adjustments. copy,paste,load file. It worked well but for some reason was leaner than the map I copied?? Also went from +4 on timing to -2. No real change in power or operating temps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts